PDA

View Full Version : Samba and computer accounts

frinknet
01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Good Day All,

Let me begin by telling you all that i'm a newbie to linux. I'm looking into setting up samba 3 as a file server for our company we have 10 users. I'm a little worried about doing it since i dont know much about linux.

Anyway first things first. I have samba up an running but i dont know exactly how to set it up for my users. I dont know if to setup an NT domain or just create user accounts leave the defaults smb.config file and map "my documents" on the PCs to the folder to a folder in my knoppix box.

My conserns right now are backing up date i have another machine on the network that has a burner so i have to weekly move the files over to that machine so that i can burn it to a cd as a backup.

Jorge Mendez

arkaine23
01-16-2004, 07:07 PM
I can't offer much just now about samba sharing but here's a summary-

Your knoppix box can mount windows shares such as my documents folders. To do so, you'd create an entry in /etc/fstab (permanent), or use the smbmount command (as needed).

Define samba shares from the knoppix box to the windows computers in /etc/samba/smb.conf (not as hard as you think). You'll also need to create samba users.

Use a cron entry to move files on a schedule.
crontab -e is how you create an entry for a user's crontab. SOmething like

00 12 * * * cp /files/on/knoppix* /mountpoint/of_windows_share

^ that would cp files at noon everyday

You could also share the CD-RW drive and let knoppix burn files remotely using its own burning software.