PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix cant find file system

Neo855
01-17-2004, 05:54 PM
hello new to the forums and knoppix as well. I had downloaded knoppix a while back version 3.1 and it worked fine (after seeing it on tech tv show the screen savers) I was running and intel celeron 850 256 sdram. I know have two AMD machines one is and athlon xp 1500 the other my machine is and athlon 2600+ with 256 ddr ram pc2100. I have failed to start knoppix on either machine first error I recived was "error only one processor found" I then found a cheat code "nosmp" and it got rid of that problem. But the next problem showed up saying can't find knoppix file system. I dont think it could be the cd or where I downloaded the iso image because it worked fine on the intel celeron 850. I then downloaded knoppix version 3.3 in 3.3 i got no error for the processor but in the next step it starts to probe scsi and bamb "can't find knoppix file system" Oh my mother board is and arbatron k600pro with a via chipset. Any help will be greatly appreaciated. I also have two hard drives "internal" one 20gb (windows partition) 40(just back up) and I am booting from a external usb Iomega cr-rw drive. I have usb ports on the mother board and i also have a 2.0 extention card. The on board usb ports say 1.1 but in the bios (phoniex bios) it says enable usb 2.0 support which i guess turns the 1.1 into 2.0 because I dont get that windows error that says "you have entered a non hi speed device into a usb port" could the usb be a problem. Thanx for any help

baldyeti
01-17-2004, 07:28 PM
I think the usb cdrom is your problem. I can only guess that your bios provides minimal support for starting off the cd, but when the kernel has been loaded it does not find the usb unit and the compressed file system it needs to proceed. I may be wrong, though... If your hard disk is formatted in fat32, you could try the so-called poor man's install (see the "docs" section of this site).

Neo855
01-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Baldyeti thanx for the reply. but is there any measures I can take its a fairly new mother board with the latest version of the phoinex bios. I was able to install windows xp pro from my usb cd-rom. I have a usb 2.0 that connects onto the mother board I will try to boot from that and see what happens. I am currently booting from the onboard usb ports. Thanx 4 your help

maxod
02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
try:

knoppix nodma
or knoppix26 nodma