View Full Version : hdparm problems!

jojo
01-18-2004, 09:07 AM
can anyone tell me why this won't work? I input- hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda2
computer says- /dev/hda2:
settings 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
HDIO_SET_32-BIT failed: Invalid argument
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
Another problem is that when linix boots it says DMA is turned off and my ide will run slow.
I know my DMA is on because a hdparm -c -d /dev/hda2 says it is, so why at boot does it say it is off? How do you change your IO settings from 16 to 32 If I am doing it wrong? thanks joe

Stephen
01-18-2004, 09:29 AM
can anyone tell me why this won't work? I input- hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda2
computer says- /dev/hda2:
settings 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
HDIO_SET_32-BIT failed: Invalid argument
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
Another problem is that when linix boots it says DMA is turned off and my ide will run slow.
I know my DMA is on because a hdparm -c -d /dev/hda2 says it is, so why at boot does it say it is off? How do you change your IO settings from 16 to 32 If I am doing it wrong? thanks joe

You have to set it on the drive itself not the partition eg. hdparm -c1 /dev/hda. If you want the warning to disappear then you have to edit either the file /etc/hdparm.conf or /etc/default/hdparm and uncomment the section for /dev/hda that exists in the example at the bottom of the file which file you need to edit depends on whether you have the latest version of hdparm installed. After uncommenting make sure that you comment out the line that is put in the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh by Knoppix.

## Uncommented by me for dma settings
/dev/hda {
# mult_sect_io = 16
# write_cache = off
dma = on
}
## Added by me for dma on hdb
/dev/hdb {
spindown_time = 12
dma = on
}

Cuddles
01-18-2004, 03:17 PM
JoJo,

Just to explain one thing about your comment about: "I know DMA is on, but it doesn't show it in the boot..."

I've looked at my init.d file, and way, way, way, down at the bottom, the last thing it does is "copy" the boot output to a file, so it can be viewed with something like dmesg, or something like that...

RIGHT AFTER THAT: it has a hdparm command, at least in mine it does, which sets the DMA to ON, on my hda device. This command, after looking at the man page for the hdparm command, has a "silent" switch placed on the line. So, it is doing a hdparm, which, one, doesn't get displayed to the boot screen, and two, doesn't get "copied" to the output file.

I realized all of this when I needed to add a DMA set to ON for my DVD device, and they suggested adding it to the init.d file, "somewhere near the bottom"... to keep the DMA settings between booting.

Hope this helps, at least a little, (even if it, probably, is off-subject)
Cuddles