PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix or Libranet???

The Fader
01-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Newbie here.

I have both Knoppix 3.3 2003 11/19 and Libranet 2.7 "Classic".

I've read Distrowatches reports on both and a selection of reviews. Both distros seem knoble I can find knothing that makes either choice overpowering.

As I understand, either will give me a live and official Debian install and if I feel that I'm missing anything important, I can get it from Debian via apt and it will install just fine. Is that correct?

Anyone have any reasons why one or the other would be better? I realize I'm on a Knoppix forum and there's likely to be some enthusiam for the home team, but bring it on :-) I've got hdb1 and hda5 just waiting.

I do knotice that this forum is much more active than that on Libranet.

TIA/The Fader

Cuddles
01-18-2004, 04:42 PM
The Fader,

No bias here... I was tossed, back about four weeks ago, on similar subjects.

I was tossing around Knoppix, Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, and sorry to say, I just heard about Libranet, so it wasn't in my running thoughts.

I was leaning on the Mandrake 9.2, oh, by the way, you are correct about the apt-get, if you can find it, you can get it - pretty simple in fact. ( done many of them, with games, screensavers, etc... :D )

I had the Knoppix 3.2 Live CD, from a friend, and only knew one thing: I was going to instal on my new system, some form of Linux. ( I was floored by the Live CD )

I was having my new system "specialy built" to run some form of Linux, trying not to get hard-wired motherboard devices, not supported by Linux (flavors), and buying the "hardware" equivalents that DID run in it.

Deciding factor, for me, was that I HAD knoppix in hand, already. I even got the guy at the computer hardware store to download and burn a Knoppix 3.3 for me :shock:

But, thats me, for you, I would think... What do you want your OS to do for you? I found Knoppix did DVD playing, CD Audio - both playing and creating, burning cd's, and even included development software. It had web browsers, email, chat programs, instant messageing, and it supported a lot of what I had already.

Last thing, considering any choice, as you pointed out, what makes them so different when you can apt-get most everything that may be missing from one or the other, is: How do they look, and feel? In Knioppix, you can use KDE or DEBIAN, both being GUI's, the look and feel is different for each. ( I prefer the KDE, since I used the Live CD and got used to it )

I know, this is starting to sound bias, isn't it? Well, I honestly said, I never saw LibraNet, and I have seen Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake. I think I made the right choice, going for Knoppix, that is. But thats me. This is probably a good reason why Knoppix, and what I hear, Mandrake now, come in a Live CD version - so you can boot them up, and take them for a test drive.

Does LibraNet come as a Live CD? If so, why not try them out, as a test drive? Boot them both up, try them both out, and see, as I said earlier, which one works for YOU.

I guess this all comes down to choice, your choice. I could "push" the "malt wine" on you for days about Knoppix this, and Knoppix that, but, you are the one that will have to live with it, so, I'm going to go wishy-washy on you here, and leave you with, you pick :D

Just the rantings of a newbie Linux user (yes, another one!)
Cuddles

Cuddles
01-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok, you got my curiousity here...

I looked at the screen shots from the LibraNet home page, nice, very nice interface, looks just like Knoppix, in some ways, and different in others. Basically, they look identical as far as features. Maybe, what interested me most, is the "ease of installation", and if it includes easier forms of setup and configurations. But, that is all kind of water under the bridge, for me, decision has been made already, and I am learning what I need to get what I need to do, done.

:D
Cuddles

The Fader
01-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Yeah,

I ended up installing knoppix and playing around with it. I won't have a real modem until near the end of the week or maybe next week, so I can't do what I use a computer for most. My knoppix 3.3 install was relatively easy after I got the console figured out; however, there were a bunch of decompression errors plus a few others. None of these seem to be fatal, but I'm going to get a CD from a T1 at the local university.

Since I have this time, and I now know I can reinstall knoppix, I'm going to install Libranet 2.70, likely tomorrow and see what it feels like. I'd expect not to see much difference in KDE.

Cheers/Fader