PDA

View Full Version : Live CD Shutdown Problem

ebrke
01-18-2004, 07:27 PM
After knoppix live CD shuts my system down and I power on my system again, I get no POST, no beeps, nothing except power indicator light and harddrive indicator light on steadily. If I then power down, unplug the powercord from the PC and wait for a 10-count, then power up again, everything is normal and I boot to Win2k. Even unplugging from outlet doesn't seem to work--I have to disconnect the powercord from the PC.

I'm trying various live cd's to see what I like before I actually install a distro, and so far knoppix is the only one that does this. I've tried several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. While this won't be an ongoing problem, I'm curious about why it might be happening.

Stephen
01-18-2004, 08:14 PM
After knoppix live CD shuts my system down and I power on my system again, I get no POST, no beeps, nothing except power indicator light and harddrive indicator light on steadily. If I then power down, unplug the powercord from the PC and wait for a 10-count, then power up again, everything is normal and I boot to Win2k. Even unplugging from outlet doesn't seem to work--I have to disconnect the powercord from the PC.

I'm trying various live cd's to see what I like before I actually install a distro, and so far knoppix is the only one that does this. I've tried several times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. While this won't be an ongoing problem, I'm curious about why it might be happening.

Let me guess you have a Dell if so they have buggy BIOS's and some machines do not like Knoppix.

ebrke
01-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your response. You're right--Dell Optiplex 260. Buggy BIOS,really? Guess mine is one of the ones that doesn't like Knoppix.

abouzeis
01-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi, same problem with compaq 1211ca, older model though. My toshiba p20 gpv does joes fine.

I hate having almost no control in the bios in these notebook computers. You can't turn off video shadowing or anything. Just boot sequence order and stuff along those lines.