PDA

View Full Version : burn a CD from same CD drive that booted Knoppix

dvd
01-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Is there a way to boot Knoppix from a CD-RW drive and then burn another CD from the same drive? I have a laptop with only one CD drive, no floppy, and only NTFS partitions, so I'm looking for a way to save data while using Knoppix.

Thanks,
David

baldyeti
01-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Time to invest in a USB key, I'd say ;-)

dvd
01-19-2004, 01:14 AM
I read that MandrakeMove allows people to eject the bootable CD and play multimedia CDs. Might a similar mechanism be possible to burn CDs from the same drive that booted Knoppix?

Cuddles
01-19-2004, 01:49 AM
DVD,

I don't think you can do it with Knoppix - at least without doing a HD Install.

Problem is, and I had this problem, when you boot the CD, it locks the tray of the CD - that way it can't be removed out from under the "expected" location the OS thinks. (btw - this also is what happens when you install Windoze from the CD, during the install, it locks the drive tray, as well)

You can either install to HD, install another CD-ROM drive, or, use the Poor-Mans install - which from what I hear, you create the CD-ROM image on your hard drive and boot from a floppy disk to point to the hard drive - of any of these three options, any one of them will allow the CD-RW to be used for other purposes.

I went with the HD Install, even though I was using my DVD device to boot, and had my CD-RW unused.

oscar
01-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Is there a way to boot Knoppix from a CD-RW drive and then burn another CD from the same drive? I have a laptop with only one CD drive, no floppy, and only NTFS partitions, so I'm looking for a way to save data while using Knoppix.

Thanks,
David

...yes!...if you have enough ram...more than 700mb
use cheatcode toram to load the whole knoppix CD into ram

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4751&highlight=toram

windos_no_thanks
01-19-2004, 08:27 AM
...yes!...if you have enough ram...more than 700mb
use cheatcode toram to load the whole knoppix CD into ram

You probably need even more since that only covers the image of the compressed filesystem. I guess you could ease the memory requirements by using some remaster from which all the heavy stuff like openoffice etc have been ripped out.

dvd
01-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Wow, the whole thing to RAM? Interesting idea. So there's no way yet to implement something similar to MandrakeMove's CD eject, but for CD burning in Knoppix?

-David

merauder
08-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Sure you can! All you have to do is open a console and type:

sudo bash -

umount /mnt/cdrom

eject cdrom

voila, pop in the new disk, if its audio, dont mount it, if its a data disk do:

cd /mnt/cdrom

done.

John3333
09-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Your suggestions doesn't work for me. Does it work for anyone else, or are there other ways to do it?

firebyrd10
09-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Sure you can! All you have to do is open a console and type:

sudo bash -

umount /mnt/cdrom

eject cdrom

voila, pop in the new disk, if its audio, dont mount it, if its a data disk do:

cd /mnt/cdrom

done.

Not a good idea, the entire OS is on the Disk, you remove it and you can't do anything.

Try repartitoning the NTFS drives and creat a fat partiton, (qtparted can safely resize NTFS)
Then when booting, type knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2(its probably 2, change it if needed)
Wait till its done coping, then remove the cd and boot as usual.

eco2geek
09-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Do you still have the Knoppix ISO saved on your Windows partition? Or can you download it there? If you can, you can use the "bootfrom" cheatcode to load Knoppix from the ISO, saved to your Windows partition, even if it's an NTFS partition, and have access to your CD burner.

AFAIK, you still have to have the Knoppix CD to boot from (or you can use boot floppies).

So if you saved it to the root level of your Windows drive (i.e. C:\knoppix.iso), you could start it up like this:

boot: knoppix26 bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso .... (put your other cheatcodes here)

...and then eject the Knoppix CD and use your burner.

BTW, just for kicks I tried ejecting the MandrakeMove CD and using K3B. It, uh, locked up the computer. :wink:

A. Jorge Garcia
09-04-2004, 02:09 PM
You can't eject the CD if you're running a liveCD boot! The toram cheatcode may help here, but what you want to do is burn another CD? Where is the ISO file you're going to burn from then?

BTW, if you don't have that much RAM, maybe a Pocket CD ReMaster of KNOPPIX like DAMN-SMALL-LINUX also has toram? DSL is only about 50MB as opposed to KNOOPPIX's 700MB.

Oh, as for the NTFS problem, I've never used captiveNTFS, all my PCs are FAT32 whe nI purchase them. Then I use qtparted and knoppix-installer to do an hdinstall. I'm wondering if qtparted works with NTFS? Then you could save the ISO in another partition to burn from. In fact, maybe you could make yet another partition and use the bootfrom cheat?

Good Luck,
AJG

firebyrd10
09-04-2004, 05:10 PM
You can't eject the CD if you're running a liveCD boot! The toram cheatcode may help here, but what you want to do is burn another CD? Where is the ISO file you're going to burn from then?

BTW, if you don't have that much RAM, maybe a Pocket CD ReMaster of KNOPPIX like DAMN-SMALL-LINUX also has toram? DSL is only about 50MB as opposed to KNOOPPIX's 700MB.

Oh, as for the NTFS problem, I've never used captiveNTFS, all my PCs are FAT32 whe nI purchase them. Then I use qtparted and knoppix-installer to do an hdinstall. I'm wondering if qtparted works with NTFS? Then you could save the ISO in another partition to burn from. In fact, maybe you could make yet another partition and use the bootfrom cheat?

Good Luck,
AJG

Qtparted works with NTFS, it was a life saver, I was about to buy some software ebfore I heard it could resize NTFS, however when you restart windows for some reason it want to redetected and reinstall driver. That can be annoying but nothing more.

Of course, knoppix's version (qtparted and the NTFS resizer plugin) are terribly out of date. It can olny resizer to a point where there is no data (it there is a fragment or file behing of 20 gigs of free space, you can only resize to the data infront the fragment)

http://www.sysresccd.org/
System rescue CD as the most uptodate version of both, Which can move data around to get to the empty space.

on startup type menu and hit enter for a GUI version of the options.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-05-2004, 12:11 AM
OK, I've always steered clear of NTFS b/c I did not want to damage anything. So, let me get this straight: qtparted will resize an NTFS partition non-destructively without my doing anything special like play with captiveNTFS?

TIA,
AJG

eco2geek
09-05-2004, 04:32 AM

If you save the Knoppix ISO on the NTFS partition, boot from the live CD, and then use the "bootfrom" cheatcode, you can indeed eject the live CD and use K3b and your CD burner. (K3b writes its temp files to a directory in /var on the ramdisk.) Tested, works.

The problem is, how big of a data CD can you create? How much can you burn at one time? On this computer, which only has 128M of RAM, there's only ~90M left on the ramdisk. K3b creates an ISO file in its temp directory, then writes it to CD. So I can only burn ~90M of data at one time.

So if the file I wanted to burn was bigger than 90M, I'd be sunk. If I only had smaller files, however, I could use "multisession" and do it in chunks.

Tedious, but it can be done, if you only have an NTFS partition.

Edit: The whole point being, when you use "bootfrom", Knoppix runs from the ISO saved on your hard drive, not off the live CD.

firebyrd10
09-05-2004, 05:52 AM
[quote=A. Jorge Garcia]You can't eject the CD if you're running a liveCD boot! The toram cheatcode may help here, but what you want to do is burn another CD? Where is the ISO file you're going to burn from then?

If you save the Knoppix ISO on the NTFS partition, boot from the live CD, and then use the "bootfrom" cheatcode, you can indeed eject the live CD and use K3b and your CD burner. (K3b writes its temp files to a directory in /var on the ramdisk.) Tested, works.

The problem is, how big of a data CD can you create? How much can you burn at one time? On this computer, which only has 128M of RAM, there's only ~90M left on the ramdisk. K3b creates an ISO file in its temp directory, then writes it to CD. So I can only burn ~90M of data at one time.

So if the file I wanted to burn was bigger than 90M, I'd be sunk. If I only had smaller files, however, I could use "multisession" and do it in chunks.
quote]

I believe there is an option is K3b to write on the fly (straight form source without makeing a iso.) Not to sure if it uses /tmp but its worth a shot.

firebyrd10
09-05-2004, 05:53 AM
OK, I've always steered clear of NTFS b/c I did not want to damage anything. So, let me get this straight: qtparted will resize an NTFS partition non-destructively without my doing anything special like play with captiveNTFS?

TIA,
AJG

Right. Works like a charm.

OErjan
09-05-2004, 11:14 AM
why not make a copy of that knoppix iso rename it swap.iso.
then mount it as a rw loop device,
if you then wipe it, mke2fs... mount it then use THAT for /tmp?
should work ok as it would have same size... as far as NTFS is conserned.

A. Jorge Garcia
09-05-2004, 02:34 PM
>>
Right. Works like a charm.
<<

OK, good!

This is the problem I have. I get all my PCs at school with VFAT32 when they are purchased and then I setup half the hdd for KNOPPIX to run a dual boot with lilo in the mbr. So I've had no problems with most of them. However, there is one PC that is NTFS but it has a nice burner that I could use! So I'd like to use bootfrom or knoppix-installer using a linux partition created with qtparted. I should have no problem with this, right?

I guess the problem with NTFS was using KNOPPIX to write files directly to an NTFS partition? I thought I couldn't even use qtparted!

Running Scared,
AJG

eco2geek
09-05-2004, 08:12 PM
AJG,

Do you ever get old computers donated to your school, that really aren't good for much? Or do you have access to a surplus store that sells used computer parts?

If you have the time/inclination, you might try hooking up a surplus hard drive to that computer with Win2K or XP on it, as a slave, format it with NTFS, then run Knoppix and play around with QTParted to see if it works to your satisfaction.

(I've used QTParted a couple times now, but never to resize an NTFS partition.)

- e2g

A. Jorge Garcia
09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanx, eco, I think you're right. I'll have to try it your way!

Regards,
AJG