PDA

View Full Version : Static IP is not static!

beecee
01-19-2004, 01:01 AM
I'm using a Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall (2.4.22 kernel) & I've got an annoying problem. I've set a static Class C IP, subnet, default route, etc. using 'netcardconfig', but every time I reboot, I get a random IP assigned in the subnet to eth0. How can I bind my desired IP address to eth0??

Stephen
01-19-2004, 01:06 AM
I'm using a Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall (2.4.22 kernel) & I've got an annoying problem. I've set a static Class C IP, subnet, default route, etc. using 'netcardconfig', but every time I reboot, I get a random IP assigned in the subnet to eth0. How can I bind my desired IP address to eth0??

Sounds like you have a DHCP server giving you an address from somewhere on the network how do you have the network setup?

beecee
01-19-2004, 01:13 AM
I thought the same thing Stephen, but I don't. I only have this machine & a Win2K box I'm using as a gateway. When I 'ps -x' my Knoppix box, I'm not seeing DHCP. Is there another way to check for the service running on this machine?

Stephen
01-19-2004, 01:58 AM
I thought the same thing Stephen, but I don't. I only have this machine & a Win2K box I'm using as a gateway. When I 'ps -x' my Knoppix box, I'm not seeing DHCP. Is there another way to check for the service running on this machine?

It would be coming from the windows box, IIRC when you use internet connection sharing it uses DHCP to assign the address to the machines on the network.

beecee
01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Ah, there you go. This is the first time I've used ICS. I had the DHCP service disabled, but now I see it was the client. It's always something. Thanks.