PDA

View Full Version : Orinoco monitor mode

courtarro
01-19-2004, 09:42 AM
I've looked all over google for existing questions on this topic, but it all comes down to the fact that iwpriv in Knoppix 3.2 doesn't show my Orinoco Silver card as having a monitor feature. Since these drivers are set in stone on the CD and are supposedly already patched, what can I do to fix this? I've also tried (to no avail) my Netgear card, which seems to be a Prism2, but I figured it was more likely to get the Orinoco going at this point.

I've tried kismet_monitor, resetting the card, reinserting it, "iwpriv monitor 2 6", etc. Nothing ever gives me the idea that the orinoco even knows what monitor mode is. I'm using flash software 8.10 on the Orinoco card, and I'm logged in as root while messing around with this stuff.

# iwpriv
lo no private icotls
eth1 Available private ioctl:
force_reset (8BE0) : set 0 ...
card_reset ...
set_port3 ...
get_port3 ...
set_preamble ...
get_preamble ...
set_ibssport ...
get_ibssport ...

Notice that "monitor" isn't listed. Is there a way to confirm that the system is trying to use the patched drivers for the orinoco and not some other kind? Should the card be inserted or removed at boot? Help!

level
01-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I have orinoco and prism2 wireless cards and they both work with kismet in Knoppix 3.3. Like your situation they would not work with 3.2.

courtarro
01-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Upgrading to 3.3 worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

courtarro
01-22-2004, 03:42 AM
Okay, now that I've got monitor mode working, I'm interested in getting airsnort to work, but so far I only get "can't set monitor mode" errors. Kismet runs just fine, and everything else about the monitor mode of the card seems happy, but no dice on airsnort. Actually, if I run airsnort as root, it segfaults as soon as I tell it to start. I've tried running it with the card already in monitor mode, but to no avail.

level
01-24-2004, 06:01 PM
In airsnort make sure you have the 'Network Device' box with the correct wireless network interface and also the correct 'Card Type".