PDA

View Full Version : Icon for the installer?

Uwe Brauer
01-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello

I am just starting to use Knoppix and it seems to be very nice.
However what I miss is after the booting there is a big so what.
Yes one can go for the documentation and find out what to do.

But why not have a big icon titled install, which then would launch
one of the two installers?

Uwe Brauer

EmDee
01-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I guess Klaus Knopper (creator of Knoppix) disagreed on that. I don't know why but I personally assume that with an icon for the installer we'd have tons of clueless newbies storming the forums, mailinglists etc. bitching about things not working as expected.

Uwe Brauer
01-19-2004, 07:36 PM
I guess Klaus Knopper (creator of Knoppix) disagreed on that. I don't know why but I personally assume that with an icon for the installer we'd have tons of clueless newbies storming the forums, mailinglists etc. bitching about things not working as expected.

Well, I thought the idea of Knoppix was to have an easy to install distribution based on debian,
with good hardware detection. So you basically are saying that newbies are left out since
the boot the CD don't know how to proceede and give up. I see that the knoppix forum is small,
but so far after making experiments for some weeks I have the feeling that Knoppix is one of
the easiest and troublefree distributions around, plus it uses debian.

EmDee
01-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Well, I thought the idea of Knoppix was to have an easy to install distribution based on debian, with good hardware detection.
Nope, see http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/ (you speak german, right?) it's original idea was to have an "instant" Linux environmentwith a "hands-free" boot procedure for Software demos, as a rescue system or even to get some work done in a clean environment. Christ, it wasn't even intended to have an installer script and it's based on Debian for easier maintainance!

So you basically are saying that newbies are left out since the boot the CD don't know how to proceede and give up.
Well, theres the kind of newbies who are absolutely clueless, don't read the docs and rather go ask somebody else because they are too fscking lazy to do the research for themselves! I mean theres at least an readme and an FAQ on every download mirror and on the CD itself (even accessible without booting the cd) which also mentions the install process in detail! I don't think I'm asking too much here, right? But I guess some people just need to be spoon fed...
And theres also the kind of newbies that are interested and those mostly don't have a hard time getting knoppix running... surprise surprise
After all knoppix is not targeted at linux gurus!

I see that the knoppix forum is small, but so far after making experiments for some weeks I have the feeling that Knoppix is one of
the easiest and troublefree distributions around, plus it uses debian.
I agree, but the fact that knoppix is built on top of debian doesn't make it any better, technically. But it makes maintaining and customization as easy as 1-2-3:-) And if knoppix can have a piece of the Debian fame to make it appeal better to some people, so be it.

I'm done now, I've already said too much; a simple google search would've given you about the same answers to your question}:-/

Have a nice day!

Uwe Brauer
01-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Nope, see http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/ (you speak german, right?) it's original idea was to have an "instant" Linux environmentwith a "hands-free" boot procedure for Software demos, as a rescue system or even to get some work done in a clean environment.
I see, this was my first impression. Now given the almost enthusiastic reviews I got the impression that it might serve also as an easy to install distribution

Christ, it wasn't even intended to have an installer script and it's based on Debian for easier maintainance!

given all the problems with a RPM based distribution expressed by the countless complains
in say linuxtoday.com, I think to base the distribution on debian is a very good idea.

Since debian is a little awkward in the installation (at least when I tried woody a year ago)
especially if it comes to hardware detection, Knoppix might become (may be unwillingly)
a wild card.

But anyhow all this goes into hypothetical philosophical question. As you said Knoppix was
and is not intened to be an easy-to-install debian based distribution, so let us forget the
subject.

Have a nice day

you too.[/quote]

baldyeti
01-20-2004, 11:54 AM
As you said Knoppix was and is not intened to be an easy-to-install debian based distribution, so let us forget the subject.
Some other debian-based live CD's have decent installers, and a prominent icon for launching it from the desktop. Give mepis (www.mepis.org) a try.

EmDee
01-20-2004, 12:13 PM
given all the problems with a RPM based distribution expressed by the countless complains in say linuxtoday.com, I think to base the distribution on debian is a very good idea.
Well, rpm is not that troublesome but apt-get is still a whole lot better as a package manager and easier too, methinks!

Since debian is a little awkward in the installation (at least when I tried woody a year ago) especially if it comes to hardware detection, Knoppix might become (may be unwillingly) a wild card.Yeah, I agree with you, seems that everybody likes apt-get and the high quality of debian packages, yet most hate the installer and it's total lack of hardware detection. I have successfully installed debian-woody once (maybe twice) and I must say that the installer is very *powerful* if you know what you are doing but it scares most newbies away. IIRC, there's a new debian installer on the way and there's also a port of the redhat installer to debian at http://platform.progeny.com/anaconda/.

Cheers