PDA

View Full Version : Remastering from "Knoppix" style hard disk install

Bukowski
01-19-2004, 12:42 PM
I've just read the Knoppix Remastering How-to, but I was wondering whether it was possible to cut out most of the faffing around with making all the source/master directories etc. by doing a HD install Knoppix (not Debian) style, making changes to that installation and then building the ISO onto a separate partition? Does this seem reasonble or am I going to be cursing myself for not following instructions in a couple of hours time?

Very impressed with Knoppix so far - especially the "debian" install option which put a fantastic working distro onto a machine I struggled with just using Debian. May convert me from my Fedora habit yet.. ;)

Dan

windos_no_thanks
01-19-2004, 01:57 PM
I've just read the Knoppix Remastering How-to, but I was wondering whether it was possible to cut out most of the faffing around with making all the source/master directories etc. by doing a HD install Knoppix (not Debian) style, making changes to that installation and then building the ISO onto a separate partition? Does this seem reasonble or am I going to be cursing myself for not following instructions in a couple of hours time?

That won't work the way you are thinking, if you follow the instructions you will be cursing a bit less. Note that there are instructions for remastering when running from a debian install too, the principal idea is the same though.