PDA

View Full Version : You're my last hope!

reilord
01-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I have a problem with internet configuration. I usualy connect with LAN, but i don't know how to use informations from "control panel => network settings" in Knoppix. I think in Knoppix I can connect only with dial-up. I tried to connect in cyber (internet cafe) using proxy and Lan with server just like in windows, but I don't know where to enter these values.

I know I am such a newbie, but help!

ktheking
01-19-2004, 03:21 PM
You first have to check if you receive an ip.
If working on a lan that is DHCP enabled (meaning that there is a server on the network that gives you an ip adress).
You can check this by typing in a command window : ipconfig -a .
If you don't have an ip adress (something like 192.168.xxx.xxx ) it could mean :

-knoppix didn't find your networkdriver
-there is no dhcp server on your network. In this case enter the ip adress yourself . Go to K=>Knoppix=>network,internet=>network card configuration. Enter now the ip-adress of the range you are working in.

That are only the most common problems,that may occur on a network.
Without receiving more info about your network it is impossible to give proper feedback.

Hope this'll help ...

greetzzzzz.

reilord
01-19-2004, 05:16 PM
So: i have my IP, my number of gateway, netmask, dhcp, dns and wins. Now, where should i enter it in Knoppix?

abouzeis
01-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Does knoppix recognize your nic card. If so then use the lan configurator, and it will do it automatically for you.

reilord
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Where is it? I found wireless lan configurator but i have no wireless lan card... Where is Lan Configurator? And what is NIC Card?

windos_no_thanks
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Where is it? I found wireless lan configurator but i have no wireless lan card... Where is Lan Configurator? And what is NIC Card?
Try K-->KNOPPIX-->Network/internet-->Network card configuration

reilord
01-20-2004, 01:31 PM
I've already done it, but my proxy server needs to autorize it. When I open some page it says that ISA server need to be autorized and could not fullfill my request or something like that. I can not connect even my comunicator in Windows cause of the due of proxy autorize data. Where should I look for these info?

Stephen
01-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I've already done it, but my proxy server needs to autorize it. When I open some page it says that ISA server need to be autorized and could not fullfill my request or something like that. I can not connect even my comunicator in Windows cause of the due of proxy autorize data. Where should I look for these info?

Kmenu -> Settings -> Control Center -> Internet & Network -> Proxy.

reilord
01-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm stupid but not so much! I've done it, but mozilla opens the default startpage like in IE but i can not open anything else. Every adres I write opens this one page. And says that it could not open the gate cause of these proxy autorization.

windos_no_thanks
01-20-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm stupid but not so much! I've done it, but mozilla opens the default startpage like in IE but i can not open anything else. Every adres I write opens this one page. And says that it could not ope if that n the gate cause of these proxy autorization.
I'm not sure if that has any effect on mozilla, might be only for konqueror.
Check in edit->preferences->advanced->proxies in mozilla.
As to your level of knowledge it is hard to determine that based on just a few questions.

reilord
01-21-2004, 11:15 AM
I've done it yesterday :lol: The same effect. Isp needs to autorize... bla, bla, bla...

ktheking
01-26-2004, 02:26 AM
It seems to me that your are completely new to IT (Information Technology).

Well ====> NIC=Network Interface Card.

It seems to me also that your goal is to use the cybercafe for free :twisted:
Since the owner was intelligent enough to protect his firewall/proxyserver with a password this won't be possible neither with knoppix,windoze or any other os... :twisted: . Your previous answers are also pointing to the fact that you don't have those logins/passwords in your posession 8) .
So good luck anywayz ...