PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX5200 - No X

EmDee
01-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I have a very weird problem here; I have two systems here at home, one (A) is an athlon 1.4Ghz on a ECS K7S5A (rev.3) mobo with 256Mb of (good, Nanya) DDR-ram, a Creative sb128 (onboard audio has way too low output for my amp), a GeForce 2 ti, a 80Gb Western Digital hd on the first IDE controller and two optical drives on the secondary IDE controller.
The other system (B), my brothers actually, is basically the same; same mobo, bios version and settings. The difference is that it's got a 1Ghz athlon, 256Mb of (cheap but good) generic SD-ram (mobo supports both kinds of ram), a smaller hd, a GeForce FX5200 and no PCI soundcard.

So I recently upgraded from a GeForce 2 mx400 to a FX5200 because the old card had gone bad (prolly bad memory) and, guess what, can't run Knoppix anymore, at least not with X...
So far I have tried "xmodule=fbdev/vesa", tried to specify the screen resolution and refresh rate, "nodcc" and whatnot but Knoppix always hangs at the point where it should start the x-server. BTW, "failsafe" brought me a little futher; it looks like the x-server is actually being started but after a couple screen refreshs it says "no suitable x-server found" or something like that.

I'm really running out of ideas here, I mean I could always plug in another graphics card but thats not really the solution I'm looking for. And it's not the bios settings either; I made sure to disable acpi as I know that it causes data corruption, IDE devices not being found and all kinds of funny stuff depending on kernel version on this mobo...

anyway, I NEED HELP! any idea appreciated!

p.s.: has anybody else noticed that the syslinux prompt is all blue on the ECs K7S5A? Looks ok on any other system I've run knoppix on though:-)

ktheking
01-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Install nvidia drivers ....
Use the search option from knoppix site to have more info on how to install ....

EmDee
01-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Install nvidia drivers ....
Use the search option from knoppix site to have more info on how to install ....
Is this really the only route to go? I thought the generic "nv"-driver that comes with X should be good for all nvidia cards, though it's not accelerated?! Er, nevermind, its not listed on the xfree site, so.. But fbdev should still be ok for unsupported cards, right?

Well, that doesn't really help me much but I'll see if I have some remaster around that includes nvidia drivers.
Thanks anyway!

EmDee
01-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Just booted http://www.slax.org on the machine and X magically works fine here. No nvidia drivers included, just confused the heck out of me;-)