PDA

View Full Version : CAN NOT get on the internet

Kung
01-19-2004, 03:40 PM
I just loaded Knoppix on my hard drive, and it worked absolutely BEAUTIFULLY. :D

EXCEPT for the modem. (And I've seen this same problem with SuSE, by the way.) If I designate the modem as ttyS0, with hardware flow control and CR/LF (or CR or LF), and query the modem, it will say "Modem Ready" and will go through the AT's, up to AT7 and then display absolutely nothing for the AT's.

If I attempt to log onto the Internet, it says "Modem Ready" and "Initializing Modem..." and the log window just says "Expecting OK" and nothing else.

I've played with just about every setting I can think of, and still no joy. Any ideas?

Edited to add: My dumb @$$ forgot to note that it's an internal US Robotics Performance Pro 56K V.92 controller controller based modem, model # USR5610. It works FINE under EVERY OTHER distribution EXCEPT SuSE and (at least for now) Knoppix.

Knobody
03-23-2004, 07:57 AM
My modem does the exact same thing. It's a Broadxent V.92 I bought at Walmart.

FuzzieBio
03-23-2004, 01:55 PM
I just loaded Knoppix on my hard drive, and it worked absolutely BEAUTIFULLY. :D

EXCEPT for the modem. (And I've seen this same problem with SuSE, by the way.) If I designate the modem as ttyS0, with hardware flow control and CR/LF (or CR or LF), and query the modem, it will say "Modem Ready" and will go through the AT's, up to AT7 and then display absolutely nothing for the AT's.

If I attempt to log onto the Internet, it says "Modem Ready" and "Initializing Modem..." and the log window just says "Expecting OK" and nothing else.

I've played with just about every setting I can think of, and still no joy. Any ideas?

Edited to add: My dumb @$$ forgot to note that it's an internal US Robotics Performance Pro 56K V.92 controller controller based modem, model # USR5610. It works FINE under EVERY OTHER distribution EXCEPT SuSE and (at least for now) Knoppix.
Sorry, but the correct model number for that modem would be "USR5610B"
Just letting you know, I have the same one and the same problems too.
On another note, do you use that modem with windows? Im having some problems with ControlCenter that is really pissing me off. Just would like to know how the install went for you.

ludimagister
04-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I don't think it was easy, either. But I did get it to work.

Things I did:
1) At the boot prompt, I added the following cheat code: pci=biosirq This forces Knoppix to look at the PCI IRQs and ports. It will load the modem at /dev/ttyS4. And why? Because this messugah modem is made to work on COM 5. USR is whacky.
2) I went to Start -->KNOPPIX --> Root Shell and made a symbolic link for my modem device:
ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
3) Set up kppp to dial my ISP.
4) And it dials in beautiful, but no Internet -- kppp couldn't open /etc/resolv.conf -- So I went to back to the Root Shell, changed to the /etc directory and chmod the resolv.conf to 777. (There's nothing in there of use, but kppp needs to see that, I guess.)

Anyhow it works and I can type this note. Cool. Now I just need to figure out how to save all this to my config files.

But ain't this a neat distro? :D

Stephen
04-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Anyhow it works and I can type this note. Cool. Now I just need to figure out how to save all this to my config files.

You should be able to use the save configuration to floppy disk in the Knoppix menu. Then when you boot it is either knoppix floppyconf or knoppix floppyconfig not sure which one at the moment.

Eala
04-06-2004, 01:52 AM
4) And it dials in beautiful, but no Internet -- kppp couldn't open /etc/resolv.conf -- So I went to back to the Root Shell, changed to the /etc directory and chmod the resolv.conf to 777. (There's nothing in there of use, but kppp needs to see that, I guess.)
It appears kppp needs to modify /etc/resolv.conf with DNS server information in the course of its operation. When it's running you'll see information like:
nameserver 192.168.1.1 #kppp temp entry
in it.

Afterwards it removes the entry(-ies) it put in there.

Question: After you've chmod'ed resolv.conf, does the new mode "stick"? I made it writable yesterday, but today it was back to rw-r--r--.

(And yes, this is a very neat distro! :D )

Eala
04-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Question: After you've chmod'ed resolv.conf, does the new mode "stick"? I made it writable yesterday, but today it was back to rw-r--r--.

It does not stick. Althou7gh I have a script to set it to mode 666 (hmmm...) on system startup, it seems that when kppp removes its temporary nameserver entries, it sets the mode back to 644. :shock: