PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Problems/Boot Options

Journey44
02-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Hi all....my first post and my first time using the Knoppix Live CD

Im trying to convert my schools tech department partially to Linux as a learning tool....found Knoppix and thought that would be great - run it off the CD and not install anything (Overly cautious lab director). Ill list hardware for the sake of it:
Pentium MMX 199MHz
32 MB Ram
24X CD-ROM
...maybe 2mb integrated graphics...knoppix has trouble with that one

1) First Problem: These computers are soo old that it cant boot from CD-Rom...so i went into Winblows 98 and made a boot disk.
2) Got in... now i know these computers plain can't run KDE3 well, so i was thinking Fluxbox or IceWM (it is wm, right :P). But if I run the command .... idk, dont have the command I used in front of me....something like knoppix (something)=fluxbox it boots into KDE. Can someone help me with the boot command for Fluxbox or Ice?

eadz
02-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi there,

make sure you are using the latest version ( what version are you using ? )

knoppix desktop=wmaker
or any other listed in the "F2" screen should work...

Journey44
02-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Im using the newest version of knoppix...i have to manually enter the screen modes for this dinasour of a graphics card, but im ok with all that. I just cant appear to enter the boot switches. After i type desktop=fluxbox (or w/e else i see in help) and press enter, it automatically loads KDE. Thanx for the reply :)

johnb
01-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi it is important that you type:

knoppix desktop=wmaker

The word knoppix needs to precede the command. Otherwise the option is not recognized by the kernel.
johnb