PDA

View Full Version : Sound on Thinkpad 600E

fred7
01-21-2004, 12:45 AM
I am a newbie Knoppix user with a little Linux experience. I have installed the 11/19 version of Knoppix on my IBM Thinkpad 600E. Everything works okay except for the sound. I think "sndconfig" sees the the wrong chip and loads drivers for it. I also get a message, when Knoppix boots, that the file "dev/dsp" cannot be found. I have seen various fixes on the web about adding lines to the "modules.conf" file and have tried them, but no luck so far. Has anyone successfully gotten sound on their 600E? If so, how did you do it?
Thanks in advance!

fred7

ldephil
01-21-2004, 02:26 AM
I have a thinkpad 600E here and the only module that ever gave me sound was to use the soundblaster pro one. That was the case with any distribution and even then I got problems - no sound after suspend/standby and any PCMCIA activity caused major buzzing from the sound system.

Part of the problem, as I understand it from speaking to IBM on several occasions and also SuSE, is that IBM had different revisions to what was nominally the same sound system. This causes real headaches for getting sound to work - I'm not sure why these problems have so much effect on linux where Windows sound generally worked (although far from perfectly).

I had tried the OSSfree and ALSA systems and with various distributions (Redhat, SuSE, mandrake, Knoppix) without any luck. In the end, I gave up with the idea of sound under linux and simply pretended the machine had no sound functionality at all.

Hellmark
01-25-2004, 03:51 AM
On my 380XD I know that the soundchip wasnt at the normal location, so I had to fiddle around with that. I'll see about digging up what I have for ya

ianf2
03-01-2004, 02:30 AM
If anyone finds a fix, could ya pass it to me too?

Thanx.

pstoddard
04-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Got my sound working on my TP 600E, don' t have the instructions I used with me now but when I get home this afternoon I'll post them here. Now all I have to figure out is how to get the Modules to load at startup, found a script on IBM's website but haven't rebooted to test it out yet I'm hoping I put it in the correct location. If anyone knows or has a good script to do this with I would appreciate hearing from you.

I'm fairly new to Linux but have to say that this forum and also the LinuxQuestions forum have been a great help.

Thank you to this community and look forward to adding my new knowledge to it.

Patrick

mightydavefish
05-01-2004, 01:49 AM
I don't know if the soundcard is the same, but I used to use this on my 600x:
You can use lspnp to check to see if your card is detectable.

lspnp -v 0e (on my 600x it's 0e, you can just you lspnp -v to see all your pnp devices)

setpnp 0e io 0x530,0x388,0x280 irq 5 dma 1 dma 0

modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0

Mine was weird because I had to reverse the dma settings from what I thought they were. If lspnp does not show your soundcard, you may be scrod, as they say. I don't know if knoppix has the PnP bios patches that you need to get the PnP bios to work right. I seem to recall I had to use the -ac patches on my kernel to get the PnP bios working.

pstoddard
05-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Here is what I did

Open a shell and logon as root and type
insmod sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2-0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

this will load the correct drivers, however you will have to enter this everytime you reboot so if anyone out there has a script that will run these commands on boot I would appreciate hearing from you.

Update: I finally got the mods above to load at boot what I did was create a file with the above commands and saved it as cs4232 in the /etc folder and made it executable.

Then cd to /etc/rc5.d and ran

ln -s /etc/cs4232 S98cs4232

this created the symlink and I then rebooted the laptop and sound loaded on start.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me out and I'm sure I'll be posting many more questions, as I get farther into using this wonderful OS.

TimWhite
05-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Had a similar problem on my 600. Couldn't get it to work correctly using modules.conf, so I wrote a little script which was called from rc5.d.

Posted it back in march.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41046#41046

Have a look, it should set you in the right direction, even if your actual values for io/irq differ.

HTH

--
TimW

tw
05-07-2004, 07:45 PM
I never got that script to work, it runs when I boot but gives some errors... (insmod failed... i think)

I seem to get the same errors when I dont run the commands as root, but I cant find any logs for when it starts (unless I scroll up after pressing Ctrl Alt F1). However I checked the kernel logs and it loads the driver with the errors:

cs4232: set synthio and synthirq to use the wavefront facilities.
cs4232: Must set io, irq and dma.

TimWhite
05-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Weird, Do you have the io etc. correct in the script?

tw
05-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Yup, i even tried using insmod, same error.

TimWhite
05-08-2004, 06:36 PM
What exactly are you typing?

tw
05-08-2004, 09:47 PM
#!/bin/bash
rmmod cs4232
rmmod ad1848
rmmod uart401
rmmod opl3
modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5 synthirq=-1 synthio=-1
modprobe opl3 io=0x388

thats saved as /etc/init.d/soundscript
with a symbolic link at /etc/rc5.d/s98soundscript

It works fine when I run it from the script from konsole, I dont understand whats going wrong.

TimWhite
05-08-2004, 10:17 PM
One question and one point.

Firstly, did you make /etc/init.d/SoundScript executable?

Secondly, the symbolic link should be to called S98whatever, not s98.....
I think that the capitalisation does make a difference.

--
TimW

tw
05-09-2004, 10:27 AM
I changed the chmod and chown to match the other scripts, heres an output of ls -l:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1785 Nov 24 2001 smartsuite
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 179 May 8 21:47 soundscript

I renamed s98soundscript to S98soundscript, but that hasnt fixed it. Im pretty sure its executing because im gettin the errors when it boots up. I'll reboot now and try and jot them down.

tw
05-09-2004, 11:35 AM
This is the output from the soundscript (when called from rc5.d)

rmmod: module cs4232 not loaded
rmmod: module ad1848 not loaded
rmmod: module uart401 not loaded
ad1848/cs4232 codec driver Copyright .......
ad1848: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
cs4232: set synthio and synthirq to use wavefront facilities.
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright ......

tw
05-09-2004, 12:13 PM
I fixed it. I commented out cs4232 and opl3 in /etc/modules, I may have added them while trying to fix the sound in the past. Im still gettin that error, but kmix (and the sound) are now working.

Thanks for the help

TimWhite
05-10-2004, 01:27 PM
What those messages are saying (well, the first 3 at least) is that the rmmod part of the script isn't needed as modules haven't been loaded.
So you could comment that bit out of the script.
I think the other bits are output from the modules loading (not sure though).

Glad to see someone else went through all the conf.modules stuff unsuccessfully too. <g> I spent ages trying to get it to work in the correct fashion.

tw
05-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Ahh, I dont believe it, its messed up.

I had it working, but without changing anything (apart from apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade), it now plays all sound/music about 1/4 the speed.

I think the upgrade updated kmix (it now has two tabs, input and output), but now it plays everything in 1/4 the speed (mp3s, music from games, etc). In noatun the playing time goes by slowly too.

Are you gettin the same problem? Im quite sure I didnt change anything with the soundscript, etc, since the problem started, only updating kmix.

TimWhite
05-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I only bother using sound through xmms, and I use aumixer rather than kmix (try to avoid kde as much as possible).
However, everything seems fine here.

My last update of packages was Thursday night...
--
TimW

tw
05-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I fiddled with it a bit and restarted, I think thats fixed it. I really shoulda tryed that before posting here...

Why dont you use kde things?

TimWhite
05-17-2004, 12:15 AM
KDE is quite an overhead, admittedly, 3.2 is better than earlier versions, but on a low spec machine, such as the thinkpad, using a lightweight WM makes for a more responsive gui.
Avoiding the kde apps means that the kde libraries do not get loaded, thus giving the box more breathing space before it begins to struggle.
--
TimW

outanet
06-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Great fix, thanks for that when I needed it!!
The capitalisation does indicate init of a service, and kde, heavy? sure,
but so is the wife, and she'e great.

there is always the other wmakers if its a 64 meg machine!