PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl-Alt-F1 causes screen to go blank

msrk
02-11-2003, 04:28 AM
I have a new Compaq Evo D510U desktop computer.
Knoppix single boot CD works great with video and
network, etc. However, when I try to switch to
another root console with Ctl-Alt-F1 The screen
goes black. Therefore I cannot run hdinstall.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Has anyone
installed Debian on this machine at all?

Thank you,
Marc

EOvermeer
02-11-2003, 08:37 AM
I don't know why this is never mentioned earlier but I had this problem a few months ago.

Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and *not* Ctrl-Alt-F1 and everything goes fine ;-)

msrk
02-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the reply. Ctl-Alt-F2 did not work either. I did a clean boot with the knoppix cd. Then once KDE was finished starting I hit C-A-F2 w/o first hitting C-A-F1. It still didn't work.

Please advise again. If you can send copy of your response to me at ms@TheBrookhavenGroup.com it would be appriciated.

Thank you,
Marc

EOvermeer
02-11-2003, 07:42 PM
another option is to boot in text mode (I don't know the boot cheat code now) and start knx-hdinstall.

rununix
02-15-2003, 08:32 AM
if you do sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hd install it will work from GUI. I did it from gui. Pretty sweet

RockMumbles
02-15-2003, 07:25 PM
On your Compaq are you seeing the boot startup, the "tux" in the upper left and the hardware detection, etc?

If you are not seeing that your video card won't support the vga mode used by default in the knoppix lilo boot process, so try starting with:

knoppix vga=normal (plus any other boot-option codes you need)

and see if that works. I've had to do that on about 50% of the computers I've tried knoppix on to have a usable console.

HTH

rock

rununix
02-16-2003, 06:31 PM
can you post exact modification that you did to lilo.conf ?

rununix
02-17-2003, 05:31 AM
ok doing vga=normal fixed the problem only partially. I can get a console but it still takes a crap while trying to come back to the original console and upon logout it doesn't come back to a graphical login just black screen