PDA

View Full Version : Problem with K3b in Knoppix

jhn
01-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi, my 18gb HD on my Laptop crashed 7 days ago. I found this very useful OS Knoppix and I am most greatful for it. Now i can access my CPU again and I can also access my HD again.

There is one problem left though... I want to save some backups from my HD to my external CD writer. The problem is that when i have started a new project in K3b and selected all the files i want to burn and finally clicks "Burn", everything stops. All the meters stands on 0%, eventually the "Elapsed time" counts but nothing more happends. 4 times out of 5 the computer hangs and i have to reboot again. I havent been able to burn one single CD...

K3b finds my external CD burner, the usergroup is Knoppix and that group have burn rights. I have mounted my HD and fixed so that its writable and not only readable. Is there anyting more i have to do?

Please explain in as simple terms as possible, course' im a newbie at Knoppix. Thanks alot for helping me out =)

Best regards
jhn

aay
01-21-2004, 04:41 PM
JHN,

If you are using knoppix from the cd, where are you storing the your .iso file before it is burned? K3B might just be using ram and you might be running out of it. I would suggest mounting a hard drive, putting your iso file there first, and then burning it.

You can also use the command line to burn your files, but likewise you will need to create the .iso file on one of your mounted hard drives (whether it's on your local machine or on a network drive) and then burn it.

Here's how to do it from the command line.

FIND YOUR CD BURNER

cdrecord --scanbus

The output will look something like this:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'TEAC ' 'DW-28E ' '1.0A' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

So in this case your burner would be located at: 0,0,0

MAKE THE ISO IMAGE

mkisofs -J -r -o name_of_new_iso_file.iso /path/to/your/files

BURN THE IMAGE

cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -v -pad -eject file_to_be_burned.iso

This should take care of things for you.

jhn
01-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks alot. I will try your instructions as soon as ive got a chance. I'll report back how successful it was. Again, thanks a lot for your time and help...

Greetings
jhn

jhn
01-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi again, well there are still some problems...

First, where do I see where i the files (i.e ISO) are stored before burned? Is it in the K3b's preferenses --> misc. --> temp folder? Or where do i change the default for the files?

Secondly, I have to mound my harddrive first, do I do this by simply rightckick the icon hda1 and choose 'mount'? If not, how do I do it?

Thrid, must i create an ISO image first or can I burn the files direct to a CD, what is recommended. The CD is going to be used in a w2k enviroment later.

Thanks alot for all help...

Best regards
Jhn