PDA

View Full Version : smbmount and Windows 2000 network

GdB
01-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi All,

Until recently, I could mount a share on our Windows NT file server with

smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=gdb,fmask666

Now everything is moved to a new server with Windows 2000, and also a new group concept. I tried all possible variations of above, but it just does not work. Mostly, it complains about a 'bad username/password pair', however under my Windows NT workstation it still works perfectly. A few variations I tried:

smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=gdb,fmask666

smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=group/gdb,fmask666

smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=group\gdb,fmask666

smbmount //fileserver/myshare$ /mymountpoint -o username=gdb@group,fmask666

etc.

And also variations where I try to escape the '/' and the '\'. It just does not work. My network administrator assisted me, but could not work it out too (he is an incognito Linux fan administrating a Windows Network...)

Anybody any idea? Problems with active directory? Version incompatiblities?

GdB

tearinghairout
01-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Hi GdB

These are really just guesses, but....

Check the logs for error messages. I was trying to get samba working recently, and found tons of errors being generated by samba. It seems there was a bug in the version that came with Knoppix - 3.0.0beta2-1. I apt-get'ed a later version (I have installed Knoppix onto hard disk) and it started working.

Does the move from NT to W2K have anything to do with the encryption of passwords? I seem to recall that earlier versions of Windows used unencrypted passwords, and later versions used encrypted ones. Maybe you are mixing encrypted with unencrypted?

Also, a quick flick through the smbmount man page mentioned an option 'krb Use kerberos (Active Directory)'. Maybe you need to use this?

THO

GdB
02-10-2004, 01:41 PM
:oops:

Shame on me...

RTFM:
man smbmount shows how to use one's group account : username=gdb/groupX
(Am I really so stupid that I overlooked this combination?)

It works now....

:oops: