PDA

View Full Version : Debian(Knoppix? on HD) "locks" when PCMCIA card is

dgr72371
01-22-2004, 03:51 PM
hello. I've recently installed Knoppix on my laptop HD (which I think turns it into Debian?) and everything seems to run well *except* for the PCMCIA ports. The laptop is a Toshiba 2100CDS btw (t2100cdt.kippona.net/downloads/spec2100cdt.pdf). The PCMCIA ports seem to initialize fine during the boot sequence (I can run cardctl from a prompt and they're there), but after I'm in the KDE w/ the desktop running, and I insert a PCMCIA card (a Netgear MA401 Wireless LAN card), the system "freezes" and doesn't accept any more keyboard/mouse/etc. input. Taking the card out doesn't help either. I have to hold down the power button to turn the system off. I tried editing the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file with the help from this link: www.northmill.org/laptop/index.html.outdated (I did noticed that the version of the config.opts already existing on my HD had a few extra entries in the first couple of exclude/include lines and irqs 3 & 7 were commented out). I added/commented/uncommented the various lines that it shows, saved, rebooted, but the "freezing ports" still occurred when a card is inserted.
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the PCMCIA ports functional to where I can get on the internet & my home LAN w/ the wireless card? Thanks in advance.

holyhandgrenade
01-22-2004, 11:18 PM
I had this exact same problem, with the exact same laptop, with the exact same card. Since you install on HD you should have no problems. Everything is layed out on this page

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:nhgZ630fmFwJ:www.linuxmanagers.org/pipermail/linuxmanagers/2002-October/000804.html+Toshiba+Laptop+PCMCIA+Freeze+-+Fixed+%40+Last,+Summary+Enclosed&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

(Yes it is a google cache cuz the original page seems to have disappeared)

Found the original(It's back now)

http://www.linuxmanagers.org/pipermail/linuxmanagers/2002-October/000804.html

This did fix it for me, you must make sure that you make the required changes in the bios, or nothing will work. (Hold Esc while booting to get into it)

dgr72371
01-23-2004, 03:27 PM
thanks for the help! I'll try it out this evening when I'm near my laptop...