PDA

View Full Version : WINE Problems

DanMc
01-23-2004, 05:45 AM
I Wanna know How I can Run trillian in wine, Running from Cd...

and Was also wondering How I Can get Ettercap running on Knoppix-std...

aay
01-23-2004, 06:24 AM
I Wanna know How I can Run trillian in wine, Running from Cd...

and Was also wondering How I Can get Ettercap running on Knoppix-std...

I'm sorry but why would you want to use Trillian under WINE when you can use things things like Gaim or Kopete natively under linux?

katsushiro
01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Trillian works under WINE, though buggily. From your post, you mention that you want to run it from CD? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that means that you have Trillian installed on a Windows install on the machine, and you want to run it from Knoppix when you use the Knoppix CD on that machine? If that is the case, I think you may be out of luck. I was never able (and I spent a week trying) to get Trillian to run from within the Windows partition using WINE. The only way Trillian will run (in my experience) in WINE is by running the Trillian installer with WINE inside of Knoppix, and then you'd still have to set up your accounts and contacts (I'm guessing that one of the reasons you want to run Trillian from within the Windows partition is to have access to your locally stored buddy lists and the like). And even though it does work, it's a bit buggy, some of the menus seem to flicker oddly, the entire application seems to be less responsive than usual, and it has a bad habit of getting stuck on top of all the other windows and not going away.

To recap: Trillian does not seem to run under WINE from within a Windows partition, you have to resintall Trillian into your Linux partition using WINE to get it to run, and even then it runs buggily.

Personally, while I love using Trillian on my Windows machines, it really doesn't run very well under Linux, and it's not really neccesary, when there's a plethora of good native multi-client IM programs for Linux. Knoppix brings GAIM by default, and it's excellent, and you migth want to try installing Kopete, which I use every day and love (often better than GAIM, in my opinion). Sure, you'll have to set up your accounts again, but you would have had to do that anyway when reinstalling Trillian... and if you have a USB memory key, Knoppix can store your account settings for GAIM on there so you don't have to re-enter them every time you boot up from the CD.

Edit: 'Fraid I can't help you on the Ettercap thing, tho.