PDA

View Full Version : "Access Denied"

SullenGenie
01-24-2004, 03:34 AM
Well, let's just get the fact that I'm a total knoppix newbie. I've skimmed the FAQs and haven't found anything about my problem, so I'm asking here.

I continually get "Access Denied" messages when I try to change filenames or file locations. I'm logged in as root. Please help.

tearinghairout
01-24-2004, 04:06 AM
Which filenames and which file locations?

Don't forget that Knoppix runs off CD - which is not writeable - hence any part of the OS cannot be written to.

If you are trying to modify things on your hard disk, Knoppix will mount them as read only if you mount them by clicking on the little icon on the desktop. If you want to mount them as writeable, you have to edit the file /etc/fstab and change the ro to rw, or mount them manually by typing a command such as
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ... but obviously you should change the device name to suit.

Alternatively, try right clicking on the icon and looking for something about changing read/write modes. I just noticed this on my laptop - but I have Knoppix installed on the hard disk, so things might be different than yours.

SullenGenie
01-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Well, I'm trying to test out a web server, so it is /var/www/index.html

(I say this because I am going to run it on a different computer, I just want to see the strain on my internet connection.)

I have Knoppix on my hard drive.

If you could tell me the code for that, I would appreciate it.

tearinghairout
01-24-2004, 05:02 AM
What are the outputs of the following commands?

mount

ls -ld /var/www

ls -l /var/www/index.html