01-24-2004, 06:36 PM
i want to install a program
when i run the ./setup
i get access deinied
also on root

Cuddles
01-24-2004, 07:11 PM
gever09,

Considering I show two posts for the same subject, I will pick this one to post a reply on...

First question I have for you...

Are you running Knoppix from the CD-ROM?

If you are, then, my answer to you is: You will get a access denied if you attempt to install a program and all you are doing is running from the CD, because you can't write to a CD-ROM. Now, if you have installed Knoppix to your hard drive, or if you have setup Knoppix to write to your hard drive, that is a different story.

But, your original post, does not state if you have setup Knoppix on another form of media other than the CD that Knoppix is distributed on, so, I assume, you are running it from the CD...

More information may help on further diagnosis...
Cuddles

gever09
01-24-2004, 07:52 PM
i runnig it form a cd but i want to install a program on my hd

windos_no_thanks
01-24-2004, 08:09 PM
i runnig it form a cd but i want to install a program on my hd
That is usually not possible while running from CD. What program are you trying to install, if I may ask ?

Cuddles
01-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Ok,

I take it you run Windows, right? Tell me one thing: When you install a program in Windows, it just doesn't install the program, does it? It installs drivers, libraries, and support files, for the program, right?

So, in essence, any program, that is installed, needs to place other files, more likely, into the system files area. Linux/Knoppix is no different, it needs to add files to the areas of the system. Using the Live CD allows you to, as in the case of Shareware, "Try before you buy." But in the case of Knoppix, you don't have a buy issue.

You can't update the system files if you are running Knoppix just from the CD. You can get some configuration changes by using the Setup a Persistant Knoppix Configuration, and using the Save Knoppix Configuration - but to install programs, may require more than that, possibly going to a Hard Drive Install. As many programs, even in the Windows World, require more than just adding a program, one program updates libraries and support files, that in turn, require other updates to support another program. I.e. Internet Explorer updates some files that other programs use as well, and they in turn need to be updated - as in the case of Windows. Knoppix keeps track of these "dependencies" for you, and when you add a new program, that changes these dependencies, Linux knows what else needs to be updated.

For this reason, running from the CD allows you "some" abilities, but not to an extent of adding external programs. (mostly)

Cuddles