PDA

View Full Version : Cannot read overburn

Special
01-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I was trying to burn knoppix, but every program I tried said I had to overburn. I finally did try with diskatonce and Nero, but it turns out my other cd drive cannot read overburn, at least thats what I suspect.

When I put in the cd and start up my computer, I get to the part where it says "boot:", there I type KNOPPIX and it says:

Boot Failed: Please change disks and press any key to continue

Can anyone help?

windos_no_thanks
01-24-2004, 08:04 PM
The official Knoppix iso:s do NOT require overburning, they fit nicely on a 700MB CD I'm not familiar with windoze burning software (anyone else want to help out ? :-) ) but some people have mentioned that at least Nero has problems with big iso:s

Cuddles
01-24-2004, 08:29 PM
I have Nero, Windos_No_Thanks, and I did not rquire the use of OverBurn...

What I suspect is, and I have found this, CD-RW discs max out at 650 meg, and CD-R discs go up to 700 meg - so you can't burn Knoppix to a CD-RW, you have to use a CD-R.

Not knowing the file structure of the way Knoppix burns its files, from the ISO, I take it that the boot stuff is placed out on the outer side of the disc, or, more specifically, the last files placed on the CD, so, if you are burning the Knoppix CD, the files in the last 50 meg would be the system files. Thereby, they would be missing if you try and burn Knoppix on a CD-RW, instead of the CD-R.

I prefer to use a CD-RW to burn discs, in the case of a problem, you can always erase it, and try again, but, in the case of Knoppix, you have to burn it, and hope you don't get a $2.00 coffee table coaster. Shame, but, then again, what they "pack" on that 700 meg, is AMAZING though.

Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
01-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I have Nero, Windos_No_Thanks, and I did not rquire the use of OverBurn..
Ok, I guess it didn't apply to all versions. (Perhaps someone should start a thread with a list of windoze burner software known to work)

What I suspect is, and I have found this, CD-RW discs max out at 650 meg, and CD-R discs go up to 700 meg - so you can't burn Knoppix to a CD-RW, you have to use a CD-R.

That used to be the case but now you can also get 700MB CD-RW:s

Cuddles
01-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Cool, I haven't been around a "real" computer store for a while, sorry, I seem to be strapped for cash lately, so, shopping lately is being done around Wal-Mart :(

I think I might need to get some of those, though... Could come in handy :D

Cuddles

EmDee
01-24-2004, 09:23 PM
See this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7512.
Might be helpful to those having trouble burning knoppix from windows:-)

Good luck anyway!