PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!XServer starts with Screen going haywire

art
01-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Hi:

I wanted to try Gnoppix; I am posting here hopefully you can this question.

Knoppix works fine; It recognizes Trident video card and calls for Xfree(vesa) Everything works fine.

But when I use Gnoppix it recognizes the video card as trident GUI and use Xfree(trident) and the screen at the end of load up is with a llot of horizontal lines streaming and I cannot use the desktop.

How can I solve this problem.> OS is Win2k Pentium 400 Mhz.

Also, is it poissible to get Gnome desktop intead of KDE on Knoppix.

Thanks for your help.
Art

Stephen
01-25-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi:

I wanted to try Gnoppix; I am posting here hopefully you can this question.

Knoppix works fine; It recognizes Trident video card and calls for Xfree(vesa) Everything works fine.

But when I use Gnoppix it recognizes the video card as trident GUI and use Xfree(trident) and the screen at the end of load up is with a llot of horizontal lines streaming and I cannot use the desktop.

How can I solve this problem.> OS is Win2k Pentium 400 Mhz.

Also, is it poissible to get Gnome desktop intead of KDE on Knoppix.

Thanks for your help.
Art

You could use the cheat code xmodule=vesa when you boot to make it is using the same module and if you install knoppix to the HD you should be able to install most of gnome if the update has happened in testing/unstable.

art
01-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi:

I could not enter xmodule=vesa in the Gnoppix boot ; it does not accept it. But after X11 starts, I entered CTRL+ALT+F1 and then entered xmodule=vesa and then entered CTRL+ALT+F7, still it does not bring it up.

I tried getting knoppix desktop=gnome in Knoppix 3.3 boot, still no luck. Well eventually I will install ver3,.4 with NTFS partition, but wanted a taste of all the WMs.

How can i enter xmoudle=vesa after X11 starts?

thanks for your help

ART

art
01-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Also another question

When both bottom & top desktop panels in KDE disappears , ie when I use autohide it disappers, I cannot get it back? I cannot use all minimized apps on these panels. Any shortcut that pops panels back.

Thanks
Art

windos_no_thanks
01-25-2004, 02:40 PM
How can i enter xmoudle=vesa after X11 starts?

You can't, the module must be selected when X starts.

Razor-X
01-25-2004, 04:48 PM
I think problem you are having here, is that you are typing "knoppix xmodule=vesa" well on Gnoppix it doesent work. Correct it to "credativ xmodule=vesa"

Razor-X
01-25-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that will make it work

art
01-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Thanks Razor-X:

It did work, I got GNOME on Gnoppix. Sadly I guess GNOME 2.4 still has bugs, The Top & Bottom panel disappear if I choose autohide and there is no way of getting it back.

I have a few questions in general about Linux I post in a new topic. I look forward to HD install.

Thanks,
Art