PDA

View Full Version : Using Twinhan DVB-S card

jdd1957
01-25-2004, 04:01 AM
Hello All,

I am having trouble booting Knoppix 3.3 11-19 on my desktop computer. Found out that I could run the CD on both my laptop and another desktop in the house.

Boot stops just after autoconfig done. After spending a good part of the day playing with various cheat codes, I decided to start pulling hardware. Finally discovered the problem to be my twinhan dvb-s card. Once this card was pulled, Knoppix booted properly.

The Twinhan dvb-s card is a BT-878 based card, but does not use the BT chip the same way as the TV cards. I assume that knoppix is trying to configure the BT878 as if it were in a TV card and that is what is causing the system to hang.

Since I want to keep the DVB card in my system, is there anyway to force Knoppix to ignore the card during the boot sequence? Or better yet is there any way to tell Knoppix how to configure the DVB-S card correctly.

Please be aware that knoppix is my first real foray into the world of linux. Therefore, please be explicit (treat me as if I were stupid) in your explanation if you have any suggestions that might help me. Thanks for taking time to read this post. Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

den140
05-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

I have tried Knoppix 3.3 & 3.4 and the problem is the same.

If you happen to have found a cure could you post it please.

Thanks,

Den

Hero_in_blue
05-10-2004, 09:42 AM
I have the same problem, and removed the Twinhan DVB-S Card after playing with the cheats....

In a other forum I read about, that the Twinhan have no valid or a unknown PC ID. And so the PCI Bus stops, freeze. I switch bak an search the information for a link....., back in minutes

Hero_in_blue
05-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Read http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2004/04-2004/msg00404.html for the information I found.

In linux, if I forget to tell bttv the card type, it hard locks.

This means if we could claim the type of card (cheat or config on floppy) it shoul work. Could anyone say something about this? How can we tell the type of card?

--- added later ---
I found something interesting:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4068&highlight=bttv
He wrotes about first starting Prog X then Y in the other case the system hangs.

Is there be any posibility to change the startup routine, that the Twinhan get the required registers?

digital_one
05-11-2004, 05:49 PM
or better yet is there is a way to tell at boot time not to use or disable bttv cards.

I would like to try Knoppix on my computer without removing the Twinhan card.

Hero_in_blue
05-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Are there some other DVB-S Cards that work or is it a problem of the twinhan card only?