PDA

View Full Version : How to install Knopix 3.2 to my harddisk

david90schr
01-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Ey, i have some problem.
How do i install knopix on the harddisk.
So i can use knopix without using a cd to boot.
My system is a:
Pentium 400 mhz
292 mb ram
ATI Radeon 7000 pro (64 mb)
48 x cd rom
3 x harddisk 4,0 gb
Siemens Monitor

I want to install knopix on my computer because windows xp is using to much gb, and i like the new interface of knopix.
And i can use knopix for all my school work. It really is a good program. Perphaps one of the best that's exist.

Sorry for my bad english
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

david90schr
01-25-2004, 06:44 PM
I tryed to install knopix on a laptop. But i dont know how to install it on the harddisk. Now the laptop can only use knopix with a cd-rom. I want to make knopix the default operating system. And i want to put it on the harrdisk. I am working on it eight days. And i wont know how to install it. I spend less then 30 minutes to install windows xp. Why its so difficult to install linux or knopix. I like knopix specially the lay out. But it has one enormous bug. INSTALLING IT ON THE HARDDISK. :evil:

violinist
01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
for installation you need to open a root shell (its somewhere in the menus) and write the command:
knoppix-installer

it will guide you throuh the process.

you need to split you HD to partitions, knoppix needs a main partition (4-5 GB at least, but it depend how much space you want to have for more programs and files) and a swap partition, in your case around 500MB.
the disk partition utility is run by the installation program, but its also posible to use MS-fdisk if you are familiar with it, and prepare the partitions before the installation.

and don't forget to back up all your important windows files, just in case you make a mistake somewhere!

i would advise reading about partitions and about MBR and dual boot so that you know what you ar doing. (google)

success!

fingers99
01-25-2004, 07:09 PM
See here:

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

and, while you may have installed XP in half an hour, I doubt if you installed NT, Office Pro, Photoshop, and so on in that time!

david90schr
01-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I am not sure how long the installation progress of win xp dures.
But i am going to buy a new harddisk with 180 gb. On my other computer i have 1x 240 gb 1x 80 gb harddisk. The other computer is a:
2,8 ghz intel pentiumŪ
512 mb ram
Samsung 56x cd rom + 24x cd rom rewriter + ?x DVD
Nec 56x cd rom + 24x cd rom rewriter + dvd rewriter 10 x + ?x DVD
Nvidea Geforce 5 - 256 mb

If i upgrade the harddisk space, the pentium 400 mhz will run faster with it. I also have made a backup with PowerQuest DriveImage 2002(on my pentium 400 mhz). Oh yeah if the hd trick works i am going to use two diffrent operating systems on my 2,8 ghz computer. And il use on my other computer drive image 2003 (because driveimage 2002 only accept hde harddisks). Oh yeah thanks for the information.
If someone of you want a full .iso file of the redhat linux cd's you can get it i will put it on my next post. Redhat linux is a kind of difficult for me.
I am 13 years old (almost 14 years), and i know much about windows.
I always modified it with a new shell or i modified the register you see. But for now i am tired with using windows xp or windows 98. I want something new to modified so i want to modified knoppix. It wont have any copyright protection. So its legal to modified it and place it on the internet. Maybe i will make a site, at a .com webhost. More information i will give soon. But for now i must gotta know where to find knoppix downloads. Please tell me. And maybe i can make a program that will modified knopix. So you can install windows applications on it. But first i must gotta learn more about knoppix. Because for now its all new to me.
So please help me with knoppix 3.2. Thank you.

Email me at david90schr@hotmail.com .

Thanks guys