PDA

View Full Version : Buslink USB HD Not found

arnb
01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm very new to Linux and Knoppix so please forgive any Newbie questions

I'm using a recent Knoppix Cd, downloaded and burned sometime in early January 2004 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, plugged into a Dell Port Replicator with 2 USB ports. I'm unable to find my external Buslink Model L40/40G HD under Knoppix using either USB port. I've tried looking with Fdisk -l, Applications-->Tools-->USbView and even gave a shot at Mount but it said the USB was already mounted. My USB Smart Card reader running off a Belkin USB 4 port hub works, I can plug it in and it works, take it out and it dissappears from USbView

I found a link to a user supplied Driver at http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=605

My questions are
1. How can I determine if this driver is installed in Knoppix

2. If not, how do I install it into Knoppix running off the CD. It's probably wise to mention that I have to use the boot floppy because my BIOS won't recognize my LITE-On CD-RW

3. Is there any thing else I could try

Thank you

ktheking
01-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Always try with what you know. => problemsolving by using exclusion of the problem.
Try the usb-harddisk on another pc ,does this work ?
Try the usb-harddisk without the port replicator,does this work ?

In most cases the good solution is the simpelest.
Don't look far away,but stay close to home.

Hope this'll get you on track... :wink:

arnb
01-31-2004, 10:38 PM
It works fine on Win98, directly plugged. Never tired it thru the port USB replicator/expander on Win98. Tried all sorts of things on Linux, it's a missing driver that I can install once I put Linux onto a HD. That should be soon, I just ordered a Hitachi 40G drive for my laptop.

windos_no_thanks
01-31-2004, 11:13 PM

run

lsmod
in a terminal window

windos_no_thanks
01-31-2004, 11:26 PM

run

lsmod
in a terminal window
Looks like the driver module is called "usbide" and doesn't seem to be in the current Knoppix distro.

arnb
02-01-2004, 06:06 AM
Thank you for making that determination, it's what I suspected.

Is there any way to install the driver without installing Knoppix to a HD? I did not have any luck attempting to get the usbide driver onto the ram disk.