PDA

View Full Version : home and config boot params do not work on the same device

sinanju
01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok, so I thought my issue with using the home and config boot parameters together was somehow related to my attempts to use a PCMCIA device. So, I've carved out a 100 meg slice of my harddrive and now I'm trying to use hda2 as a home and to store the config.

Contrary to messages that pop up when you create the home directory and save the configuration, using those parameters together on the same device simply doesn't work. Boot messages say that /home/knoppix is mounted, then later the configuration is restored -- I haven't poked around too much, but I'm guessing that the device is unmounted following that final step.

Cuddles
01-26-2004, 04:33 AM
I, used to run with the CD, and I had the Swap, Configuration, and Home on the same device.

My boot cheatcodes were as follows:

boot: knoppix myconfig=scan home=scan

and it worked ok. Yes, during the boot up, messages saying something along the lines of... trying to locate home directory... found, already mounted... messages, and later on, with the configuration... trying to locate configuration... found.... and lastly, in my case, I had a persistant swap setup on the same drive, it would say... locating swap... found at....

Question is, are you getting your home and configurations on every boot up, correctly? If you make a change in your desktop, or add a icon, and you save your configuration, does it retain it after you reboot? Knoppix, when it boots, gives you a lot, in my opinion, way too much, information about what it is doing, and this can get a lot of people in trouble. Don't worry too much about the messages, unless of course, they aren't working, then the messages can be used to determine what, and where, it went wrong.

Knoppix can save all that it says, if you use them, it worked for my, until I finally decided to take the "plunge" and go "all-out" and install it as my main OS. Until then, you can use the CD and a "small" portion of a FAT drive, to gain what you loose from running a OS from a CD-ROM. The Configs and Home can be run from a single hard drive, with the CD, I have done it.

Hope this helps a little,
Cuddles

sinanju
01-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Nope... Didn't work... Config was loaded, but once the system was up, /mnt/hda2 was not mounted to /home/knoppix.