PDA

View Full Version : kppp execute on connect ... only sometimes!

pjprofili
01-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Anyone else have the problem of kppp not always executing the command provided in the "execute on connect" field?

There's no problem with the pathname, as it sometimes runs OK, and I'm running as root - so no problem with permissions.

Any ideas?

Phil

Cuddles
01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
I had kppp running my firewall, and it didn't have (much) of a problem with it.

The problem I found with the "execute on connect" setting, was sometimes if would fire off the "command" before I actually "connected" - i.e. sometimes kppp would fire off the "on connect" command during say... modem handshaking, at which point, it really isn't connected to a server at the other end yet, and then sometimes, it would delay a few seconds, and my "command" would be fired off after kppp actually completed connecting...

What I would suggest... place a "sleep 5 ; [and your command]" in front of your command - that will delay the "actual" command you want - which you place right after the "sleep" part... You may want to adjust the time to your needs, the 5 will place the complete "command" into a delay of 5 seconds, before the command continues to what you want. Take note that their is spaces between the "sleep" and "5" and between "5" and the ; [semicolor] - not sure if this has to be this way, or not, but, you can try it without the spaces, and see if it works.

I have this same "sleep" thingy in my START XScreenSaver imediately - since, when you might click on the icon, you might move your mouse a few "mickeys" and cause the screensaver to falsely think to not run.

Hope this might help you out on your issue,
Cuddles