PDA

View Full Version : alsa drives me crazy!!

twh
01-26-2004, 05:29 PM
I have trouble with my Yamaha soundcard (ymfpci, ym744, hoontech xg). I've connected it using an spdif to my reciever. All i have to do is to unmute some channels using alsamixer. But it won't work.

root@paula:/etc/init.d# ./alsa-autoconfig
Preparing modules for alsa...
Building card database..
Configuring ymfpci...
Running update-modules...
Creating snddevices...
Setting default volumes...
root@paula:/etc/init.d# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

What can I check now? I have played around with self built driver from www.alsa-project.org and the apt-get port form testing.

Well this make be feel dizzy.. I spent the whole day and can't start alsamixer. It suxxs.

\thomsen

twh
01-26-2004, 05:38 PM
it's me again. I checked this:

root@paula:/proc/asound# tail /proc/asound/cards
--- no soundcards ---

I suppose it should be something else than this ?

\thomsen

twh
01-26-2004, 06:35 PM
ahja. Some good news:

I've found out that in

/etc/modules

always the "ymfpci" was loaded. This probably wrong. Then when doing this:

% rmmod ymfpci
% modprobe snd-ymfpci
% alsamixer

everything went fine. So my solution was: Removing the wrong entry and let the programs itself load the module when needed! So just comment out "ymfpci" and try it again.

But this brings a new problem to me: How can I store/configure the volume settings using knoppix only? The problem is:

% amixer set bla bla

won't work, since alsa-utils aren't installed. So any comments on this?

NikiBob
01-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Please try add

aumix -w 60 -v 60
to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

twh
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Please try add
to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

thx for your suggestion. However, it did not solve the problem this way. But it brought some new ideas to me. I could remember, that the alsa-util "amixer" was able to activate the IEC958 (spdif) . However, all those simple mixer programs, including "aumix" were'nt able to activate this very unique sound channel form my Hoontech XG yamaha chipset.

The solution: download the alsa-util package using the "-d" option from apt-get, which will only download but NOT install the package. If downloaded, depack it your self and install "amixer" by hand. Then you put this in bootmisc.sh

%amixer -q set IEC958 on

and voila, everything is fine. But don't forget to add your local user to the audio group in /etc/group

\thomsen