PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix v3.3 problems

nappy501
01-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi
I have got Knoppix to try on machine before I install Redhat 9. I put it in and got the following apart from on one ocassion.

Knoppix version 3.3
release 2..3-11-19-beta

Loading vmlinuz
loading miniroot.gz

Then picture of penguin
Then
accessing knoppix cdrom at /dev/scd0…

The first time and all subsequent times apart from once, the screen scrolls past with and the last screen beginnings and ends with

total memory found: kb

creating directories – symlinks on ramdisk
fat: bogus logical sector size 0
kenal panic:vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01

On one occasion it said
total memory found: 65..kb
I can’t remember what I saw, but it filled in a number. And then it appeared that my hardware was been detected I remember my usb coming up, then there was a green bar which moved across the screen.

I was getting all excited and then scrolls past with
cloop: Read error at pos 238321691 in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix, 25851 bytes lost
cloop error –3 uncompressing block 10188 65536/0/25851/0
i/o error: dev 0b:00 sector 466572

Then down the bottom
init: cannot execute “/etc/init.d/xsession”

The screens go by so fast, I am unable to give you all the error messages. If anyone knows how to do it I would be grateful?

I have since got a couple of friends to try it, and it has worked on their machines, so I don't think it is the disk. Would it be my memory as no number comes up?

Any help gratefully received.

fingers99
01-28-2004, 05:08 AM
It could be a memory issue, or that you didn't set the bios to "non plug and play OS" , it could be faulty cabling and jumpering or that you need to use one of the cheatcodes.

It'd really help if you posted fuller specs of your box.

BTW, if you do a HD install of Knoppix you get Debian, which many of us consider to be a better Distro to RedHat.

nappy501
01-28-2004, 12:10 PM
It could be a memory issue, or that you didn't set the bios to "non plug and play OS" , it could be faulty cabling and jumpering or that you need to use one of the cheatcodes.

It'd really help if you posted fuller specs of your box.

BTW, if you do a HD install of Knoppix you get Debian, which many of us consider to be a better Distro to RedHat.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what non plug and play os is :?: And how do I change it?

The two friends who tried it out on their machines, all they did is what I did which was change the Bios to cdrom, c, a.

I have Windows 98. AMD K6 400 processor. 64 meg ram.
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:00:51:12
Normal mode
On "H7N6M9" as "J Simpson"

AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
56MB RAM
46% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (7375MB free)
Available space on drive C: 7375MB of 9717MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 599MB of 2010MB (FAT32)

Multimedia
CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Display
Trident 8400 PCI/AGP (v6.50.5480)
Modem
Intel HaM Data Fax Voice Modem
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Is this the sort of thing you mean? If there is anything else you need to know please tell me? And where to find the info?

It was suggested to me that I use Knoppix to check my hardware compatiblity. I wasn't intending to install it on my system.

Basically I've had enough of Windows and I have been told Linux is getting user-friendly, so I want to change over. When I have checked on the web, Debian is not described as one of the easiest Distributions to use. :? That's why I am going for RedHat SuSE or Mandrake. However I saw the boxed version of RedHat 9, being advertised, so I bought it.

Lots of people have offered me distributions, but I think I need a manual and 30 days of support.

Thank you in advance.

fingers99
01-28-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't know what non plug and play os is And how do I change it?

In the bios: usually you'll find it in "PCI Devices" or some such. You'll have to do this for any modern Linux install anyway, and it won't affect Windows.

Debian is, in fact, a very user friendly Distro once it's installed. The installing is a real pain in the bum, though. That's the main benifit of installing Debian through the Knoppix CD.

As to support, well..........

For practical purposes, RedHat support is useless.

SuSE will give you hard copies of excellent documentation and 90 days of support, although, IMHO, the support itself is not that good. (BTW, if you are going to get SuSE, get a copy of the live evaluation CD -- you can download the iso -- first).

Since all of the major distros use slightly different autodetection and configuration tools, there's not a lot of point in using Knoppix to see if, say, RedHat will run on your box.

As always, the best support is through the community.