PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a good download

linybob
01-27-2004, 02:20 AM
I have been trying to download the Knoppix_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso from various sites, but I can never get one where the MD5 sum matches the values in the sites' MD5 files. I've tried http downloads, ftp downloads (binary mode), from Linux and from Windows systems and I always wind up with a mismatch. I've been downloading files - Linux kernel sources and other large files - for years and I think I know what I'm doing. Does anyone else have problems with this iso? Any suggestions? I've never had such a hard time downloading a file.... Very frustrating

rickenbacherus
01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Maybe once I had a problem when I used a browser to download. Try wget?

mightydavefish
01-27-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a similar problem most of the time I've tried to download linux .isos over a dial up connection. I now use rsync whenever possible. Take a look at the man pages for rsync ( I don't know it well enough to tell you how to use it off the top of my head) and find an rsync server that has knoppix (ibiblio.org, maybe?). Rsync will check your cd image and will download parts needed to fix only what is wrong with it. Take your bad image and use rsync on it to fix it. Bittorrent also has error correction, and is probably easier to use than rsync. Try downloading it with bittorrent first, then try rsync.

linybob
01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
rsync solved the problem. Thanks!