PDA

View Full Version : Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)

Cuddles
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Help, I have been trying to get a DOS partition on my hda device working, and since I couldn't figure out (myself) how to get the fstab entry right, I booted to the CD, with a noswap boot option.

Since the CD Boot could see, and even mount, my hda2 (dos partition), I wanted to look at the fstab file done by the CD.

Being brave, I figured I could add the entry into "my" fstab file, which is on hda1...

So, I mounted hda1, and went into /etc/fstab - and tryied to add the hda2 entry, upon trying to save the updated file on hda1, it yelled I didn't have priviledges. So, I bailed out, and figured I could memorize the line entry, until I could reboot back into the hda1 HD install.

Upon (trying to) reboot into hda1 (knoppix hd installed), I get the following, until it locks up....

/etc/init.d/rcS: line ##: /[folder]/[something]: [description]: Permission Denied

Line numbers go from 1 up to 91, until it locks up. All these messages are coming from the boot, right after the LILO, and after the penguin logo hits the screen.

What did I do, and how do I fix it???? PLEASE :!:

As a consolation, hda1 was formatted with ext3 file system, if that helps? Sheesh, all I did was boot to the CD, and "touch", or "mount" my knoppix hard drive install - please, someone tell me what I can do to resolve this, my system is deader than a doornail at the moment - and I'm seriously going through "Linux Withdrawl" :D

Thanks to anyone, and everyone who can get me back alive...
Cuddles

Cuddles
01-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Ok, from what is left on the screen, after it locks up... Here is what is in the black screen...

Line #36
/dev/console ... Permission Denied
/bin/rm ...
Mount local file systems...
Line #12
/bin/mount ...
/bin/grep ...
/dev/null ...
/bin/sh ...
/bin/hostname ...
Line #72
/sbin/hwclock ...
/bin/date ...
/bin/cp ...
/usr/bin/find ...
/bin/chmod ...
/bin/dmesg ...
Line #62 (last on screen, and freezes)
/bin/run-parts ...

Note that the "..." is the Permission Denied

Trying to catch the stuff that is before all of this, I can only make out that it found my processor and memory, ok, but everything else comes up with this "Permission Denied"

I am desperate here, my system is down, and so is my email, and I can't play Frozen-Bubble :!: (j/k the game is fun, but my system is more important than just a game.)

Thanks for any help, and possible resolution,
Cuddles

Cuddles
01-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Disregard....

(Noob, seriously, Noob, here)

In the attempt toi get my hda2 (dos partition) mounted through fstab, I inadvertantly, got hda1 and hda2 mounting to the same location - "/"

Since hda1 was a ext3, and hda2 was a vfat - the two coulldn't mount the same location, and ( I guess ) during bootup, Linux/Knoppix got seriously confused, and spewd out error messages, and refused to boot. Actually a VERY GOOD thing, in fact, if "someone" would have made any changes on the hda2 partiton, pointing to hda1, I think I would have been doing a re-install :!:

I don't think the CD had anything to do with it, I think the CD just got caught in the cross-fire of my changing fstab - I booted into the CD, noswap single cheatcodes, made hda1 writtable, su'ed to root, and commented out the mount command in fstab for hda2 - booted back into Linux/Knoppix HD installed hda1 - PERFECTLY.

I guess you can say one good/bad thing about Linux -=- a little information about the OS, CAN get you into a LOT of trouble -=- On the "excellent" side, at least the CD doesn't give you THAT MUCH "muscle" to mess up things too much :D

Case closed, mission accomplished, fire out, flames dead, topic/thread resolved... Frozen-Bubble -> running as normal [giggle]
Cuddles