PDA

View Full Version : sound config

jojo
01-28-2004, 02:12 AM
hey guys, I was wondering if any body could help me with a problem that I have? I recently installed 3.3 on my hard disk now there are 2 problems, The first is that I dont know what the difference between file systems are exp. ext2, ext3, reiser... and does it matter what one I pick?
the other problem is the sound issue. My sound card is detected but I still have no sound the volumes are all up nothing is muted either. when I do sndconfig it finds my card then it says that my soundcard is not currently in your modules search path,please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed. I would be ever so greatful if someone could tell me how to put my soundcard in my modules search path. thanks

fingers99
01-28-2004, 04:35 AM
Try

alsa_init

as root

and make sure you're in the audio group.

jojo
01-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

This is what I get when I try to test the sound
I ran alsa_init as you suggested and still doesn't work?

Stephen
01-28-2004, 05:47 AM
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

This is what I get when I try to test the sound
I ran alsa_init as you suggested and still doesn't work?

Try /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to make the alsa devices. Then if it works open the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file to have the default volumes set on boot.

jojo
01-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the help guys, but niether way gets me any results which is odd because before I did the hd install the alsa cheatcode worked every time. Both of your suggestions seem to go off w/out a hitch but I still have no sound. On another note I did an apt-get crystalspace but I can't run it It went in to my /etc, I can see it and read all the files but cant run it like other games, even typing crystalspace at the command line doesn't work like it does with other programs. I am new to linux so if anyone has a solution to one of my problems keep that in mind.