PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4 with 2.6 kernel available in two weeks?

Pages : 1 [2]

PsaltyDS
04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, I'm tired of waiting! After all, with all the money we're paying Klaus for... Oh, wait... Never mind! Carry on smartly, Klaus. Take your time and get it right, we can wait a little longer.

:D

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced." -- Geek's Corolary to Clarke's Law

Seeker
04-04-2004, 04:34 AM
Is there any chance that they'll fix the whole 'knoppix locking up your system completely if you try to access /mnt/' problem? Anyone know?

Fabianx
04-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Is there any chance that they'll fix the whole 'knoppix locking up your system completely if you try to access /mnt/' problem? Anyone know?

That is no bug. Rather a feature ;-).

Seriously:

If you access /mnt the auto mounter tries to search all cdrom and floppies for media-change.

That can take a while.

If it crashes, just do as root:

/etc/init.d/autofs stop

(before accessing /mnt of course ...)

cu

Fabian

wooac
04-04-2004, 06:00 PM
I presume Cebit and C't pay Klaus for these special versions of Knoppix. Does anyone know the approximate amount? Is there a mechanism for the anxious downloaders to pay Klaus? Often I've seen posts where someone will pay for this or that driver. Can Knoppix users vote for features with money?

Fabianx
04-05-2004, 01:01 AM
I presume Cebit and C't pay Klaus for these special versions of Knoppix. Does anyone know the approximate amount? Is there a mechanism for the anxious downloaders to pay Klaus? Often I've seen posts where someone will pay for this or that driver. Can Knoppix users vote for features with money?

If Klaus is asked: Heh, I like Knoppix and want to support it, he usually answers:

"Donate it to the Debian project."

What is important for Klaus is, that Knoppix is based on Debian and much of its quality comes, because debian is good.

You can pay someone (e.g. knopper.net) to integrate a feature for example for a "custom remaster".

There are companies, who do this.

cu

Fabian

Seeker
04-06-2004, 03:29 AM
If you access /mnt the auto mounter tries to search all cdrom and floppies for media-change.

That can take a while.

Really? How do you stop said service from initiating on startup?

I'm totally willing to edit my fstab if it means I can access /mnt/ in under 25 minutes.

Stephen
04-06-2004, 03:58 AM

That can take a while.

Really? How do you stop said service from initiating on startup?

I'm totally willing to edit my fstab if it means I can access /mnt/ in under 25 minutes.

apt-get --purge remove autofs will get rid of it.

jakroo99
04-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Hey guys your wait is finally over :D Danix is a knoppix based distro which features Kernel 2.6, ALSA, Gimp 2.0 and KDE 3.2.1! :wink: I know for some of you this is not the same as knoppix, but its good enough for me :P Even if you guys decide to wait on knoppix 3.4 this will at least hold you over till than and besides, what's the difference if danix is based off knoppix and has an english option at boot up? Taken from the knoppix website: # Linux Kernel 2.4.25 and, as a boot option, Kernel 2.6.5, both ACPI-enabled.
# KDE version 3.2.1.
# GIMP version 2.0.
# New IRDA/Bluetooth-Setup.
# GPRS internet-connection ready.

Well, I don't know what GPRS is, but at least Danix will hold me over till then so what are you waiting for get downloading :lol:

Seeker
04-08-2004, 07:11 AM

...soooo... where do we get this magical distro?

pc3
04-08-2004, 07:36 AM
i find this ?
http://danix.hladnov.osu.cz/

eco2geek
04-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Danix is a knoppix based distro which features Kernel 2.6, ALSA, Gimp 2.0 and KDE 3.2.1!

Nice remaster -- although I was a bit disturbed to see that several of the penguins in the wallpaper have bellybuttons.

jakroo99
04-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Nice distro, is it safe to assume that the performance level will match up to that of knoppix 3.4? :?

MongooseNX
04-09-2004, 09:33 AM
i find this ?
http://danix.hladnov.osu.cz/

Is Danix in English or just Czech ?

-Robert

lazarusbitmap
04-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Both. Enter lang=en at boot for english.

One question -- i can get the dma and lang=english cheats to work, but screen=1280x1024 halts it with a black screen. Anyone know a way around this? (nvidia 4200 card, this cheat works on 3.3).

Otherwise, nice distro! Just wondering if Nike will sue over those belly-buttons on the penguins? :-)

DinB
04-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Nice distro, is it safe to assume that the performance level will match up to that of knoppix 3.4? :?

How have you found knoppix 3.4 to perform since you have been using it?

:D

Abehome
04-10-2004, 01:48 AM
Both. Enter lang=en at boot for english.

One question -- i can get the dma and lang=english cheats to work, but screen=1280x1024 halts it with a black screen. Anyone know a way around this? (nvidia 4200 card, this cheat works on 3.3).

Otherwise, nice distro! Just wondering if Nike will sue over those belly-buttons on the penguins? :-)

I had the same problem. Don't specify SCREEN=xx and will work fine.

Seeker
04-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Nothing against Knoppix, but I'm running Danix right now and I gotta say, it's pretty sweet... I might even install it for a while.

It's odd, though... it SAYS it's running 1024x768, but the title bars and windows seem to indicate otherwise... like, 800x600 or maybe even 640x480 otherwise.

However, the icons and mouse seem to fit the 1024x768 profile. Hmm.

miauman
04-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Can you install Danix on hard disk?? (like knoppix)

boehmb
04-11-2004, 06:30 PM
It has a "install Danix to harddrive" option, although I didn't try it.

DinB
04-11-2004, 10:51 PM

I booted into english and did a hard drive install as above, only to find that it was in Czek or Polish or soething. :o

atm I'm trying to manually do a HD install with 3.4-c't which is a challenge for me and my level of expertise.... :roll:

Fabianx
04-11-2004, 11:29 PM

I booted into english and did a hard drive install as above, only to find that it was in Czek or Polish or soething. :o

atm I'm trying to manually do a HD install with 3.4-c't which is a challenge for me and my level of expertise.... :roll:

Well if you had tried beginner mode, it would have taken your language ...

cu

Fabian

PS: At least the installer was programmed to do so ...

DinB
04-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Fabianx

well assuming begginer mode meant using the hd scripts from the root shell, so that is what I did with dannix.
using knx-hdinstall all appeared to go well, but on reboot I had a kernel panic and was not sure how to fix that.
using knoppix-installer all appeared to go well even rebooted and started fine - untill I noted the login and everything else was in czech again :cry:

Gave that up and went back to knoppix 3.4-c't

got some good tips from nvgringo and http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8943

now, a few hours later and I've got a copy booting from the hard drive. :D :o :)

Funny thing thought from the hard drive it does not recognise my nic, yet when I boot from the CD it does - very strange - brain a bit dead now, need to think some about that.

Its certainly a nice way to speed up your learning when things do not go right first time :)

Rink
04-12-2004, 11:26 AM
>untill I noted the login and everything else was in czech again

I'm not sure about Danix, but in Knoppix the login manager needs to have the language set to, well, whatever language you want. In certain circumstances, it will default to the first language on the list (czech).

Seeker
04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
That sounds like a good idea, except it won't allow you (or at least me) to log in as root. It just restarts X every time I try...

OErjan
04-12-2004, 01:03 PM
use ctrl+alt+F2 that goves you a root console.

Seeker
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Righto... sooo.. how do you get to the settings manager to edit your language or whatever from that type of non-x console?

miauman
04-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Anybody know whennnnnnnnnnn?

I hope it soon :D

ripcrd
04-15-2004, 08:23 PM
From the knopper.net/knoppix page, it will be ready when it is ready.

Personally I hope they go back and package the 2.4.26 kernel before release, since that came out today.

I wonder if someone has thought of a way to replace the kernel on a HDD installed system with a script pointing to a repository. Like the programs you can install over the net. Using Klik would be cool: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680

amcd
04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
That sounds like a good idea, except it won't allow you (or at least me) to log in as root. It just restarts X every time I try...

That's happening because root has no window manager selected. At the login session window, select "kde" from the
session type drop-down menu, and it'll step through the kde "New Profile" wizard and setup up KDE for root.

Even after you have changed the language settings, a load of Danix will still be in Czech as they are the language packages install for a lot of apps. Sorry... but it's only doing as intended, a czech version of knoppix. It's a nice version though.

arkaine23
05-02-2004, 12:02 AM
New Overclockix 3.4 remaster hit the streets yesterday. has some patched up installers to avoid some of the problems in the original cebit 3.4. Also has some user-requested packages like firefox, thunderbird, mplayer, the newer gimp 2.0, karamba, and many more. Has been apt-get upgraded to unstable distribution for newest packages available. Highly customized desktops, and KDE now at 3.2.2. Openoffice removed to make space. You can apt-get install openoffice.org for hdd-installs. kdei18n multi-language stuff has been removed for space also. This thing is defaults to English (KDE and Keyboard)!

http://overclockix.octeams.com

The beta from a few months ago had bugs in the kmenu and kicker, but in the new release these things have been fixed.

It is available by Bittorrent due to popularity. My hosts get hammered otherwise. We did almost 150 d/l's in the first 24 hours since distrowatch took notice of the new release.

ripcrd
05-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Just got the official Knoppix 3.4 last night. The .torrent posted to Slashdot, http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/ did not work. I had to google around until I found, http://www.tlm-project.org/distributions/browse_distro.php?distro_id=3&expand_version=15
and http://www.tlm-project.org/torrents/knoppix/3.4/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso.torrent

It worked great with Bit Tornado on my Windows 2K fileserver. Burnt last night and I'll test today.

A. Jorge Garcia
05-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Is bittorrent supposed to be so slow? I only got about 80KB/s max!

Regards,
AJG

baldyeti
05-05-2004, 09:41 PM
I only got about 80KB/s max!AJG
Hey, that doesn't sound that bad ?!?
Maybe this FAQ (http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html) would help...

A. Jorge Garcia
05-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Yeah, well, I've gotten much faster downloads with ftp!

Regards.
AJG