PDA

View Full Version : KnoppixKDE Review

aay
02-12-2003, 04:59 AM
EADZ's remastered version of Knoppix keeps making the news. I found a link at Newsforge (http://www.newsforge.com) to a very favorable review of KnoppixKDE. It's espcially nice to have such a good review since the reviewer says that it is his first forray with Linux. Keep up the good work EADZ!

You can check out the review here (http://ammai.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=2).

thadk
02-14-2003, 04:51 AM
Download the release at http://ktown.kde.org/~dirk/knoppixkde/

Documentation at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixKDE

billstei
02-15-2003, 03:18 PM
I couldn't agree more (as similarly noted by the reviewer) that the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background. If promotion of KDE is the objective, it would be good to consider that psychologically the standard Knoppix background is a horrid choice. I have personally demoed Knoppix to others and the background does not lend clarity or likability to the experience.

Aside from this I am very enthusiastic about the idea of a KDE-only Knoppix.

audioaficionado
02-15-2003, 10:13 PM
I liked it. There's plenty of CD room for more goodies in the next releases. I'm not sure, but PH didn't work for me. Either I'm an idiot or it wasn't the latest corrected scripts that came out just before this compilation.

Anyway EADZ has hit a triple and two RBI. I can't wait to see him up to bat again. It'll be a grand slam for sure.

eadz
02-16-2003, 12:59 AM
I couldn't agree more (as similarly noted by the reviewer) that the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background. If promotion of KDE is the objective, it would be good to consider that psychologically the standard Knoppix background is a horrid choice. I have personally demoed Knoppix to others and the background does not lend clarity or likability to the experience.

Aside from this I am very enthusiastic about the idea of a KDE-only Knoppix.

not sure if you tried KnoppixKDE but he wasn't talking about the Knoppix background, I used a kde background ( default_gears ) which comes with kde and is the default background for kde.

aay
02-16-2003, 01:48 AM
I couldn't agree more (as similarly noted by the reviewer) that the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background.... .

not sure if you tried KnoppixKDE but he wasn't talking about the Knoppix background, I used a kde background ( default_gears ) which comes with kde and is the default background for kde.

I agree with eadz. I really have to question whether "the single most negative aspect of Knoppix in general is the desktop background." I'd take the most hideous background known to man if other technical issues could be addressed.

Anyway, try KnoppixKDE it has a nice background.

billstei
02-16-2003, 05:00 AM
Eadz - sorry for the assumption that you had used the same default Knoppix background, and good to hear you went with the KDE one. It will probably make the difference between me wanting to demo it, versus having someone close their eyes long enough until I can fix it. So your guess was correct: I haven't actually tried it - I was waiting for the dust to settle, and in the hopes that you cram it full of everything KDE possible before I burn one. Thanx for your efforts (including the whole web site for that matter).

twgray
03-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know where the modules can be found? They are a part of the Knoppix-KDE release, but I can't determine in which KDE package they are located.

audioaficionado
06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
This thread is a little old but I'll bump it up again.

With all the activity from Klaus overshadowing all things Knoppix, how is the second version of Knoppix KDE coming along edaz?

Don't forget to include nForce2 unified Linux drivers so us nForce2 mobo/AMD owners we can have sound and use our LAN. :D

Thanx,

eadz
06-19-2003, 09:08 AM

With all the activity from Klaus overshadowing all things Knoppix, how is the second version of Knoppix KDE coming along edaz?

Well there is no need for Knoppix KDE as Knoppix 3.2 has the latest version of KDE.

Knoppix KDE CVS was in the works apparently by orth, so that will be good.

audioaficionado
06-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Oh well...

I was looking forward to your next animated boot screen :mrgreen:

Stephen
06-19-2003, 08:02 PM

Well there is no need for Knoppix KDE as Knoppix 3.2 has the latest version of KDE.

Knoppix KDE CVS was in the works apparently by orth, so that will be good.

BTW I don't know if you have tried it but the CVS works well with a HD install of knoppix I have been using it for over a week with no real problems.

eadz
06-19-2003, 11:29 PM
BTW I don't know if you have tried it but the CVS works well with a HD install of knoppix I have been using it for over a week with no real problems.

is the CVS version much better than 3.1.1 ?

Stephen
06-20-2003, 12:48 AM

is the CVS version much better than 3.1.1 ?

It's pretty much the same, loads quite a bit faster though and it has a splash screen preview that has been added fonts seemed better too but that may have been me playing around. One more thing it has spell checking in the forms or dialogs in Konqueror haven't quite figured out how to use it yet though it doesn't always figure out which words are spelled wrong all the time and I can not find any options to configure it or to use it to replace anything it just shows you which words are wrong sometimes so it is a work in progress.

Also there are some strange things when you change settings in the toolbars or the menus sometimes you have to restart the app or even the X server to have the changes take effect.

mikekgr
06-20-2003, 07:10 AM
Dear Frients,
where somebody can download the CVS version ???

Best Regards
Mike

eadz
06-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Dear Frients,
where somebody can download the CVS version ???

It's not released yet.

mikekgr
06-20-2003, 07:32 AM
OK. I see...

Thanks a lot.
Mike