PDA

View Full Version : For the love of god can someone do this

Leg0z
02-12-2003, 09:40 AM
hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there in knoppix land could add this to a customized cd and make it available for download

http://www.xpde.com/

for those of you too lazy to click on the link, its a windows XP gui for linux... makeing it look and feel like XP. I know very little about linux or programing. I could soooooooooooooo use this, and im certain there are about 50 million people other people on this planet could too.

I love knoppix, and this would really raise the bar if you could put this into someones pc and boot up right into something that looks like xp but is linux... just think of the mass exodus...

-Leg0z

p.s.

please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please........

Phredd
02-12-2003, 03:46 PM
I attempted to install this and was a FANTASTIC failure!

I think this is a great idea as well!!!!

Can someone with a bit more skillz give this a whirl?

god
02-12-2003, 06:15 PM
if some one did that, I would burn 50 copies of that and hand them out at the schools around here....

Phredd
02-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Great idea...

Ill match your 50 CDROM's in Atlanta!!

Alextreme
02-12-2003, 07:09 PM
"Innovate, don't immitate" ;)

I guess it would be a nice move from my xp-theme. never did like those really bad colors. Then again, it would be a very, very sick joke :P

god
02-12-2003, 08:59 PM
i just feel that more people would make the change if linux lookked framiliar, and the usage was similar.... just one more way to stick it to bill gates....

Leg0z
02-12-2003, 11:53 PM
something like this should actualy be put in the standerd release of knoppix. maybe still have it boot to KDE, because KDE is far superior, but the sure would impress a windows user if you could boot into a windows like enviroment from the get go with a few simple start commands. So how bout it moders? anyone got the skillz to pull this off? me love you long time....

-leg0z

god
02-13-2003, 12:36 AM
the problem with that is what you need to cut out to get it to fit. I think that they should add XPde to a "conversion" version.... XPde, OO.o, other similar stuff, but cut the "high end" programs.... the stuff a new person to linux wont be needing right away...

Leg0z
02-13-2003, 12:58 AM
a knoppix complete for linux newbies, fantastic idea. Cut out some higher end programs that only an advanced linux users would use to make room for XPde. But, leave enough linux on it so you could get a good experience that way without too much confussion from the get go. Something like this really could cause a big stir in the microsoft world :twisted:

-Leg0z

god
02-13-2003, 01:54 AM
that would be fantastic...

dvessey
02-13-2003, 01:57 AM
Hey there Leg0z... you're new to Linux right? What you're saying is exactly what I thought at first too...(if only they did this, EVERYONE would jump on Linux..).

I wish it were true, but it probably isn't, unfortunately. Looking at xpde though.. might be better for the family computer here :)

Whether or not to put it in knoppix.. well, it's obviously up to Klaus, but I don't think it would be good. We already have KDE, and I think you can give people enough credit that they'll be able to figure it out... besides, I can't re-distribute it, since I'm on dial up :(

elmo
02-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Sorry I don't get it - what would be so great about that ?? Making Linux look like WinXP (there are themes by the way that do that)

Leg0z
02-15-2003, 11:08 PM
XPde from what I understand is more then just a theme. It trys to emulate the "feeling" of windows XP...

what would be so great about it is that you could really ease the transition between windows and linux for someone who knows how to use windows xp. combined it with knoppix, and to a windows user thats pretty impressive.

Martin
02-17-2003, 11:50 AM
I'm working on this. The distro is called "eXPo" (remember the name ;)). I did already a test release with XPde 0.1, and now I'm working on a new version with XPde 0.2 (released last saturday).

The problem is to remove all the packages the "normal newbie user" doesn't need and get the ISO image as small as possible. btw: If anyone can give me some space on his ftp-server for the ISO file, it would be nice!

Another problem is that people expect to much. Keep in mind that XPde 0.2 is far away from beeing a final 1.0 release. It doesn't even have a file manager. But anyway, development is going fast because of our two great core developers, cheers to Zeljan and José, you rock! ;)

stay tuned...

look at http://www.xpde.com - I'll make a post when I have eXPo 0.2 complete, expect it in a week or two...

Alextreme
02-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Well, if it isn't too big i might risk placing it on my ftp (i don't think my isp would really mind, but it depends on the size).

Also, the problem with getting a base distro was tackled some time ago (first knopBase, later improved in Model-K and my own morphix base(sortof ;)). It's worth investing some time to not have to do the same work twice (something i too don't do often enough, i must admit).

However, i find that this project is a bit useless, i'd rather see this effort into making Gnome-applications (or KDE's for that matter) _better_. icewm is a great win32-like clone (not to-the-pixel point, but the general idea is the same, and a good theme really makes a difference). Also, if i put my non-geek mom behind a wellconfigured Gnome2.2 or KDE 3 desktop, she'll find out how it works just by trying, and within a few minutes she'll be surfing the web and chatting like usual.
It's not the desktop-interface that is the problem, it's having the applications that are usable and common enough. Imitating is good, but imitate the right idea's, not the wrong ones.

Sorry, just had to rant, don't mind this dirty hairy troll :D

Leg0z
02-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Taken from the XPde FAQ:

· It's a waste of time, linux users should use KDE or Gnome!!

Yes, you are right. We use KDE, and we even think it is better than the Windows XP interface, but this project is not to replace KDE or Gnome. If you can switch a Windows XP user to Linux with the lowest learning curve as possible, then the goal of using KDE or Gnome is near. XPde is just an option for *existing* Windows XP users.

· I have installed Linux for my sister, my mother, my grandma, my little she-dog and my she-turtle with no computer knowledge and they are able to use it with no problems!!!!

You are right, you don't need this project.

· Do you think an *existing* user of Windows XP would want to migrate?, they are ok with what they have!!!

No, an *existing* user of Windows XP doesn't even know there such a thing called Linux, which can be more stable, more secure, with a lower TCO. If they know about it, they have to break too many walls to get into it. They won't want to migrate.

YOU as developer, YOU as sysadmin would like your customers use Linux. It would save you countless hours on the phone, countless hours repairing stupid Windows machines, countless hours cleaning viruses and it would give you a lot of flexibility on the computer management of your customers. XPde is just another tool in your toolset to help you migrate YOUR customers.

Martin I cant wait to see this done man... thank you for takeing up the project :)

-Leg0z

Alextreme
02-17-2003, 11:33 PM
exactly the response i was expecting after my filthy rant ( i read that faq a few days ago ;))

Oh well, even though i don't agree with you two: good luck with your project and i hope it works out :)

lilliput
02-18-2003, 01:36 AM
just put the error fatal screen saver (waiting first time 10 min and after all 2 min !!) and then could be realistic; I forget ; would you send this fatal error to Linux$debbuger .??? all times you want to close an application !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I prefere KDE 3.1 but could be funny for some Joke (to friends who do not know Linux...)

davros4269
07-28-2003, 09:22 PM
I never can understand this - why?

KDE is not so much different from xp or macosX for that matter. What "learning curve"? The curve has nothing to do with gui. The curve has to do with installing software, filesystem layout, configs, security, etc.

Anyone that comes and uses my KDE machine has zero problem loading up a web browser or doing basic file manipulations...

Besides, KDE already has options to make mouse clicks and window behaviour act like xp. What more do you want? Why not just use XP if you want XP? (I recently setup a KDE/linux/knoppix box for a great-grandma who is 86 - she's been using win98 for years. After spending a few minutes in the K settings panel, I was able to emulate everything from a single desktop, to double clicking to open something, as in her previous setup - she has no problems getting online, checking email, playing card games and writing and printing letters). Hell, there is even a "Redmond" settings option - as if that isn't a HINT-HINT.

Further, don't judge linux by it's ability to emulate windows. I prefer the KDE gui, multiple desktops and the like _over_ the xp interface.

three eyes open
07-30-2003, 12:01 AM
a knoppix complete for linux newbies, fantastic idea. Cut out some higher end programs that only an advanced linux users would use to make room for XPde. But, leave enough linux on it so you could get a good experience that way without too much confussion from the get go. Something like this really could cause a big stir in the microsoft world :twisted:

-Leg0z

I second that; there's a few progs on Knoppix that I still have very little idea of how to use. So to make a more newbie-friendly Knoppix, cut those in favor of apps that are easy to use and not just the same as the others already on the cd. As much software as there is out there for Debian, it shouldn't be difficult to find some.

BUT - pardon me, I think the XP colors are butt-ugly. I've heard XP-users say they don't like that "patronizing Tonka toy interface" either. So maybe you should consider just dropping that in favor of a nice-looking GUI.

Btw, have you checked out the new Slackware live cd? The GUI looks very advanced, comparable to XP, and yet, not ugly. :) Just google Slackware live cd and you'll find it, and probably screenshots too.

Enmity
10-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Is it possible to include non-deb packages in a knoppix remaster?

Ghandalfar
10-20-2003, 06:56 PM

-Leg0z

Care to provide a comprehensive list so we can start on the project? :)

Please just don't say 'u know the usual stuff e.g. python, latex, etc.' but provide a list of debian packages that you think that should be removed. Our vision of what user needs and what doesn't probably differs a lot and anyway .. from the 30 page list it's quite hard to select them .. if one could do that job I'm sure there would soon be many remasters that would have other more end-user stuff included because of much more free stuff since authors of remasters wouldn't have to deal with picking out the 'non-important' stuff.

j.drake
10-20-2003, 07:31 PM
I never can understand this - why?

KDE is not so much different from xp or macosX for that matter. What "learning curve"? The curve has nothing to do with gui. The curve has to do with installing software, filesystem layout, configs, security, etc.

Anyone that comes and uses my KDE machine has zero problem loading up a web browser or doing basic file manipulations...

Besides, KDE already has options to make mouse clicks and window behaviour act like xp. What more do you want? Why not just use XP if you want XP? (I recently setup a KDE/linux/knoppix box for a great-grandma who is 86 - she's been using win98 for years. After spending a few minutes in the K settings panel, I was able to emulate everything from a single desktop, to double clicking to open something, as in her previous setup - she has no problems getting online, checking email, playing card games and writing and printing letters). Hell, there is even a "Redmond" settings option - as if that isn't a HINT-HINT.

Further, don't judge linux by it's ability to emulate windows. I prefer the KDE gui, multiple desktops and the like _over_ the xp interface.

Exactly! I like filet mignon, and I like cake, but this idea is like spreading cake icing on a filet mignon to make it look less "threatening" to cake eaters.

Linux can be incredibly difficult and intimidating for Windows users, but it's not because of d*mb*ss things like there being a K instead of the word Start - it's because setup, configuration, and anything other than user-level operation requires using BASH. If Linux ever gets to the point that a newbie can run the same applications that he could in Windows with a simple click of the mouse, and there is never any need to use the shell (or at least no more need to use the shell than the Windows Registry), the Windows folks will come. It will happen, but it won't happen soon.

Let's face it, if someone's computer skills are so lame that a different GUI is going to make them throw up their hands in frustration, then Linux definitely is not for them.

arkaine23
10-20-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm working on this. The distro is called "eXPo" (remember the name ;)). I did already a test release with XPde 0.1, and now I'm working on a new version with XPde 0.2 (released last saturday).

The problem is to remove all the packages the "normal newbie user" doesn't need and get the ISO image as small as possible. btw: If anyone can give me some space on his ftp-server for the ISO file, it would be nice!

Another problem is that people expect to much. Keep in mind that XPde 0.2 is far away from beeing a final 1.0 release. It doesn't even have a file manager. But anyway, development is going fast because of our two great core developers, cheers to Zeljan and José, you rock! ;)

stay tuned...

look at http://www.xpde.com - I'll make a post when I have eXPo 0.2 complete, expect it in a week or two...

I will host your iso file for you.

I could give your remaster a section on my (my own remaster) overclockix support forum too, for your users to seek assitance.

All I would ask is permission to remaster it slightly to add optional Distributed Computing clients- Folding@home and Seti@home and a few scripts- less than 1.5mb of files. I know a lot of Overclockix users would like to try it out, but they'd want the DC clients available as they are in Overclockix.

If there is room, I'd like to add drivers that knoppix does not have to it also so that it supports more hardware.

You can talk to me on http://overclockix-forum.theaog.com

Hunkah
10-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Sorry I reposted a new topic that continues this one.

It was my first post and didn't know that this was even thought of.

Listen, all you linux gurus don't be such jerks! I want to switch to Linux. But all the friggin differences are too much to take! The looks, settings, files, extentions, file system, partitions, FRIG!!! The whole thing!

I want XPde because it will allow me to be productive and get used to the idea that I am using Linux, then it will allow me to set things up to the way that I am used to. THEN I can start to learn the new programs and ways of doing things little by little. I am a network admin for a public library. I have to convince the library computer lab moderators that Linux is a better OS. But they will NOT use it if they need to re-learn. They are trying to help 40 people use the internet and email apps. (People that are confused about the difference between a right click and a left!!!)
Even with my years of tech support and certs, I am afraid of Linux. I lose control. I can't do anything that I can do with my win2k machine. Even though I use Windows I haven't had a blue screen in over 3 years and I can do anything I need to do. But the fact still remains that this is a licenced machine that costs too much to upgrade and the crap that goes with it.
So all of you that know Linux, what are you losing by having the option for XPde? You aren't being forced to use it!!! It is allowing others to come to the knowledge that Linux is better! Are you the only one allowed to know this? Is it taking away from the fact that "Linux is a geek OS" and only the "L33t" are able to use it? Man give me a break!!! The whole philosophy that goes with Linux is Freedom! It is a giving philosophy, but you are doing it backwards. So what if it makes Linux easier to use, is that going to hurt your bragging rights that you aren't going to be the only "Linux L33t"?

j.drake
10-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I don't think you'd be doing anyone any favors with this project. Sure you might initially mislead them into thinking that Linux is as easy as Windows to use, but sooner or later they will find out that it's not, and then your credibility will be shot, as will Linux's or any other OS alternative that comes down the pipe. I'm not a Linux geek, but I am trying to learn it, and it's darn frustrating. I would have given up if already if I weren't so stubborn, and it sounds like your co-workers don't have even a fraction of my tenacity. Believe me, the frustrations have diddly crud to do with with the minor differences in the UI. You might as well p*ss down their backs and tell them it's raining for all the help this will make.

If you're really insistent on this, buy one license of Lindows and see if anyone nibbles. If you tell them you're demo'ing for a public library, they might even give you one for free to check out. But even Lindows doesn't claim that it will work the same. Because it doesn't.

Hunkah
10-24-2003, 04:35 AM
I agree, Linux is hard to use! But that will not always be the case. There is a GUI now, it is getting better. There is almost a flawless install now, and getting better. There are apps now, and getting better.

What I am doing, (I have a dream...) is to learn it now while it is hard, then as it becomes easier... It will be easy to use. There are improvements on Linux every day that brings it ever closer to the "ease-of-use" that windows has. But even Windows took a while to learn. If I had started off with Linux, Windows would have been the hard one to understand.

So now that I got that out of the way... I know Windows. Windows is what I know. If I can administer a Linux Box like I do windows (even though it might be inferior) I will know what I am doing. I agree that KDE is cool, but it is easy to lose where you are because of all the new titles and ways of doing things. I would like nothing more than to know Linux like I know Windows. But I don't!!! So I am forced to learn Linux the hard way, but XPde will make any transition an easy one.

That is why I would like to have Knoppix give me the option to have XPde as a windows environment. I could boot to it, play around learn it and then go back to it when I need to.

The whole library thing is a future project. But XPde will do for them what it could do for me. Remove the shock.

It is like having a hot shower then jumping into a freezing pool. One extreme to the other, it is quite a shock to the system. But, if you add hot or cold to one or the other, it isn't such a big shock. Then you will be able swim around and get used to the water!

j.drake
10-24-2003, 03:27 PM
It is like having a hot shower then jumping into a freezing pool.

I can't agree. More like having a hot shower, then jumping into the middle of the ocean - the temperature may be somewhat uncomfortable, but, believe me, the temperature would be the least of your worries. Sometimes it hurts less to rip the Band-Aid off in one pull.

Still, if you like it, more power to ya'. :wink:

Hunkah
10-27-2003, 06:10 AM
I agree with the band-aid thing!!!

But this is different. It isn't a question of which is better, it is a question of which am I able to use and be productive in. I agree that KDE is probably better, a lot better. But I can't use it as successfully as I can a WinBox.

I want to learn linux, but I need something to go on, a starting point.

I don't have any friends around here that know Linux or even Windows for that matter! I am on a small island (almost, 95% surrounded by water in town of 4000) Most are farmers and hicks of all sorts. So I need to learn on my own. If I started a LUG, I would be it! Me and some guy that thought it was a AAA meeting!

Hunkah
10-29-2003, 12:21 AM
HEY, I have a great idea!

Could someone PLEASE just Download XPde (development release) and just modify only the files needed to make Knoppix boot into XPde. I can replace the files myself and rewrap the iso. All you need to do is make a do this do that list that I can follow.

To whomever takes this on.... Thank-you.

Hunkah
10-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Crap, forget it. I just looked at the contents of the CD. I am dead in the water on that one. There is only a couple folders and one big extensionless KNOPPIX file! So I guess if someone was to take this on... It is going to be the whole thing. Sorry.

reecegeorge
10-30-2003, 11:32 PM
another new team of developers trying to show of their programming skills to the world.

if somebody wants to make it easier for newbies to use linux, why dont they rework the help section?

for example: when xp first opens there is a help screen automatically available, there is actually a helpful help and support section :shock:

i am not into M$/Linux bitching sessions. both opperating systems have their pros and cons.

all knoppix needs is a usable help section not a new desktop.

reece

Hunkah
10-31-2003, 04:13 AM
... i am not into M$/Linux bitching sessions...

It is funny that you say that, between two sentences that contradict it.

reecegeorge
10-31-2003, 07:09 AM
if you think that i was commenting on your posts, there is no need to take offence, i was making a general comment about the thread.

if it is the word 'bitching' that offended you then please replace it with the word 'emotional' and that should do the trick.

i hate it when i use the wrong word :!:

Hunkah
10-31-2003, 08:24 AM
Hey, I was just joking! er something... I was pointing out that... ummm nevermind, it was just supposed to be funny. But now it isn't. Crap! I hate when that happens! :?

reecegeorge
10-31-2003, 08:59 AM
:o that is funny after all

arkaine23
10-31-2003, 09:09 PM
I'll spend a little time trying to work XPDE into my upcoming 3.3 version of Overclockix. What I understand is that the script /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig needs reworking for XPDE, and then the cheatcodes need to be altered to allow it to be selected and to be made as the default desktop (think that's in boot.img). And of course XPDE needs to be installed and maybe some settings should be pre-tweaked in /etc/skel/.xpde

Still too busy between being an admin AND a help desk tech to get on this just now. Hopefully by the end of November/beginning of December.

Hunkah
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks, you're the best!

mikekgr
11-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Dear arkaine23,
I thing that this offer (your offer to mane an iso with xpde) is very great for us.

I am looking forward to try it.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards
Mike Kranidis

Hunkah
11-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Has anyone ever tried to join the XPde forum? I tried and I couldn't get a password sent to me. It said it did but I never got it.

(Sorry for posting this in here, but I can't figure out how to get past this problem on the other site)

Click here to go to the forum (http://support.xpde.com/modules.php?name=Forums)

arkaine23
11-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Alright, I just blew up my 3.2-based remaster. I still don't really have time right now to commit to a project like this, but I'll get on it when I can. I extracted a 3.3 base and started moving over some of my usual customizations. Will start gutting some of the packages to make more space....

r3writ3r
11-13-2003, 03:31 AM
sorry, did I miss something
why would some one want to make a linux look like a winxp

Hunkah
11-13-2003, 05:41 AM
Yes you did miss something, read back a few posts and all will become clear.

If you are a linux pro, no need to go on about how linux is better than windows. We have all heard it before. It isn't that impressive. Actually it is quite boring now. So read back and you will understand.

Ghandalfar
11-13-2003, 07:46 AM
Wouldn't this be an easier sollution:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=1499

;)

Hunkah
11-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Actually no it wouldn't. What XPde is doing is creating the "full" environment with a run command, My computer, Network Neighborhood, with the "exact to the pixel" look and feel of Windows. It actually looks more like Win2k but will have the loona ? luna theme. So then freaks like me can move around and be at one with Linux under the hood and I can slowly learn about linux without the shock.

I don't want to have to continue arguing the whole Linux vs. Windows thing. I like Linux's philosophy, I like Windows' look and feel. I also like the software available for windows. I can do everything in widows and I never have a crash. Blue screens are for punks that don't know how to work Windows. I have yet to do anything productive with a Linux machine. What keeps me coming back is the philosophy and the hope that it will be more user friendly.

j.drake
11-14-2003, 12:03 AM
I can do everything in widows.

So, THAT's why you're called Hunkah! :wink:

Hunkah
11-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Actually it is short for Hunkah Crap. It is my interNIC.

Ghandalfar
03-27-2004, 01:48 AM
so someone (g1powermac) did it.. :)

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/morphix/MorphixCombined-XPde-0.4-1d.iso?download

Since this is first release there are still some issues with it:

01:44 < g1powermac> It will default to XPde version 0.4.2 but you can get xfce and xpde version 0.5 booted by typing "desktop=xfce" or "desktop=xpde5" as boot options
01:44 < g1powermac> Also, there is no root terminal "shortcut" yet in it (will be fixed since Gandalfar explained how to do it) so I have set it up like the minimod, where root password is "morphix"
01:45 < g1powermac> And, not all apps are in the start menu, just a selected few at this time
you can su into root, but you need to use "morphix" as a password

---

mcaycedo
03-27-2004, 07:26 AM
I just see this thread, and being a fan of overclockix I want to ask to Arkaine what happens with the project to include XPde with overclockix?

sbkryan
04-02-2004, 09:27 AM
i have dun it for both XPde version 0.4 and 0.5

i found it remarkable easy and got the most recent in with few problems

it boots nicely from CD

if any1 has somewhere i can place the iso then it will be good as i have nowhere 2 host it

Its called DebXPde and it is still in development but i can put the versions iso up for both xpde V0.4 and V0.5

DebXPde Development Team

mcaycedo
04-02-2004, 10:58 PM
if any1 has somewhere i can place the iso then it will be good as i have nowhere 2 host it

Its called DebXPde and it is still in development but i can put the versions iso up for both xpde V0.4 and V0.5

DebXPde Development Team

You should try to use Bit Torrent. There are a lot of tutorials and you won't suffer of bandwidth shortage.

zentu
04-02-2004, 11:17 PM
On PHLAK available at http://www.phlak.org/ Just boot with the desktop=sneaky option. It has been there for around 4 months I want to say, but I can't say a time for certain

mcaycedo
04-04-2004, 01:46 AM
On PHLAK available at http://www.phlak.org/ Just boot with the desktop=sneaky option. It has been there for around 4 months I want to say, but I can't say a time for certain

Well, I can't found the address? or is knopiixdotted?

zentu
04-04-2004, 05:44 PM

Well, I can't found the address? or is knopiixdotted?

UMM... that is really agravating, the site seems to be down, I will have to see if I can contact the admins to see what is up, but I don't think that I have the addy anymore (I wrote it down to give them a thanks, but never got around to it. *so if you are reading Thanks.* Then I had to reinstall my system.) They sometimes go down when they are doing huge updates, like getting out a new version w/ new screenshots or the like, but I don't know.

the_register
06-13-2004, 04:48 AM
That defies the point of switching to Linux/UNIX

arkaine23
06-22-2004, 04:19 PM
I just see this thread, and being a fan of overclockix I want to ask to Arkaine what happens with the project to include XPde with overclockix?

That plan is shelved just now. If anyone wants to pay me, I will be happy to dust it off. :)

$eriously though- I just moved acro$$ the country and have a crappy job and no internet connection. I'm getting married in a few month$, $o right now I'm just in a bad po$ition and not able to do much work on Overclockix.

If someone will figure out how to rescript the 45xsession and also fabianX's restartX script, I know I could add XPDE to Overclockix without too much effort.

The major problem as I see it is I'd have to gut a pretty large package- maybe gnome- in order to fit XPDE.

Also, the latest overclockix is based on Cebit, so I'd like to start over with the official 3.4 or even 3.5 release if I was going to do something like that.

gmwest5
06-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Hello i am Michael West and BARNIX/DebXPde Developer,

are distro is based on the latest version of knoppix 3.4 and does include XPde as the defualt booting environment, our XPde is 0.5 which a twist we have been given a special release which nobody else can download which has a start menu included caled 0.5.2, if anybody could supply a place for us to upload an iso image of BARNIX/DebXPDE 0.4 we would gladly upload it for people to download it.

Are Distrobution is a Networking Tools based Distro also but only a few networking tools are avaible from the start menu.

are forum is based at http://www.barnix-forum.cjb.net

are website is www.westnold-developments.uk.tt but is currently down as are host is having problems although this temporary.

if anybody is interested please send an email to gmwest5(at)hotmail.com
replace (at) with @.

The reason why implemented thhe XPde Environment is becuase we want to bring windows users over to using linux and we found this is the best way.

thanks,

hope somebody can help us.

Michael West
BARNIX/DebXPde Developer
Westnold Developments

arkaine23
06-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Michael, I'd like to help you out. I'm quite interested in your project, as I also try to win over Windows users by simplifiying configuration tasks in my live CD's.

My servers have a pretty thick pipe and we usually can handle over 1000Gb per month. But every now and then we have to switch from direct downloads to bittorrent due to high demands. Lately this has not been a problem (only when distrowatch puts Overclockix on their frontpage).

gmwest5
06-24-2004, 05:42 PM
thanks arkaine23,

i would be very grateful if you could help us, we would probably need space to have maybe three iso's up at a time one full release, one testing and maybe the previous full release, you servers certainly do have a good lot of bandwidht and i would let you switch my iso's over to a torrent if needed.

also i would host my site if possible as it sounds very reliable, as my last linux free host let me down, that is why are site isnt up at the moment.

well i hope to here from you soon arkaine23,

and i would appreciate any help

Michael West
BARNIX/DebXPde Developer
Westnold Developments

Vintage Season
06-28-2004, 12:50 AM
Michael, I also would be strongly interested in seeing the results of your effort; I gather from your other posts, and what little I could glean from your own forum (http://www.barnix-forum.cjb.net/) that the goal is to make BARNIX/DebXPde resemble not only the appearance, but the behaviour of Windows XP as closely as possible.

I am rather new to KNOPPIX/Linux distributions in general, so I am unsure whether or not this particular request is feasible... but would it be possible to modify the structure so that user-added Windows executables and their respective INI/config files could simply be added to a subdirectory in the ISO, which would then behave similarly to "Program Files" on a true Win32 system? It seems the WINE config file could also be added to the root of this subdirectory, and perhaps also a modular config file to specify desktop/start menu/Quicklaunch shortcuts and their relative arrangement/structure.

For programs which reference registry entries on a Win32 system, perhaps it would even be possible to reference a mini-REG file from within such a subdirectory...?

Sincerely,
- M.

Edit: After a little more reading I found this post (http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49745&highlight=&sid=eb6008cf4d72d4fa25f38324aa5a7567#49745) by probono explaining that one can retain klik (http://klik.berlios.de/)-installed apps by burning the persistent home directory to disc. That may also be a solution to the situation I described above - I'm not sure. Would this require creating a klik recipe for each Win32 app one wished to include, and then installing via klik? Or is there a simpler way? Can one simply install a Win32 application to the persistent home? And how does one set the persistent home directory to be referenced from within the same ISO as the live distro (... assuming one might build the system for a DVD+/-R)? Please forgive what are essentially "newbie" questions; my curiosity outweighs my experience with Linux systems.

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 08:41 AM
i am trying to understand what you are saying, are you saying that you wold want us to try to implement something in to the distro that not only looks like xp but also has windows apps or are you describing something else.

im sorry about are forum and are website, i mean are website is down at the moment, but we haven't had time to update on a lot of items as we have been busy creating the distro.

i cant remember everything we have in Barnix/DebXPde but i will try to give you as much info as possible -

Barnix / DebXPde 0.4 -
Based on Knoppix 3.4 (Latest Release)
XPde 0.5.2 (Version Only Published to us)
KDE 3.2.2
Debian OpenOffice.org 1.1.1-2 (i think)(it is newer and faster than the one on knoppix and is also completely in english)
Mozilla Firefox 0.8 - with Flash Plugin and will be adding Java Plugin.
we then have lots of brilliant networking tools i will list a few as there too many -

Ethereal
Nmap/FE
MacChanger
Ipcalc
ettercap

we will eventually make a more comprehensive list of what is in there and do some more documentation, i hope Arkaine23 can help us with the hosting as we would appreciate it, and then anybody who is interested could download it and then tellus there toughts.

Thanks,

Michael West
Barnix / DebXPde Developer
Westnold Developments

arkaine23
06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
You have mail

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 03:06 PM
hey Arkaine23 where have you sent my email then my email address is gmwest5@hotmail.com

and i havent got any email

arkaine23
06-28-2004, 03:50 PM
hey Arkaine23 where have you sent my email then my email address is gmwest5@hotmail.com

and i havent got any email

Perhaps its being spam blocked? I'm sending from an excite.com address. It sends fine (have sent you 3 messages).

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Arkaine23,

have received you email i will upload a iso as soon as i get a chance thanks for giving us the space.

Michael West
BARNIX/DebXPde Developer
Westnold Developments

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Our Website is now backup, thanks to arkaine23,

http://www.westnold-developments.uk.tt

and hopefully we will have an ISO up on the Site within the next couple of days.

you can login into the forum from this page or goto http://www.barnix-forum.cjb.net

Michael West
BARNIX / DebXPde Developer
Westnold Developments

Vintage Season
06-28-2004, 09:37 PM
i am trying to understand what you are saying, are you saying that you wold want us to try to implement something in to the distro that not only looks like xp but also has windows apps or are you describing something else.
What I am requesting is a simple way to add true Win32 apps to the ISO, and maintain the WINE config file with those apps. The reason for this is simple; there are a number of small, specialized programs designed for a Win32 environment, for which I have found no satisfactory Linux-based replacement (i.e., Exact Audio Copy (http://exactaudiocopy.org/) or VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/)), but which are known to run successfully under WINE.

- M.

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
i can now see where you are coming from, but these sort of modifications would be maybe done on our distro once we have finished some other major items.

it does seem to be a good idea.

but our distro is still in Beta stages and will need a lot of work done to it b4 we start adding Win32 type applications + we would not add them if they didnt come under any type of free software licence

Vintage Season
06-28-2004, 10:22 PM
... + we would not add them if they didnt come under any type of free software licence
Each of those does come under a free software license, but I do not know whether or not it would be compatible with the licensing of KNOPPIX-based systems. (For example, Exact Audio Copy is "cardware," meaning the satisfied user mails an attractive postcard to the author of the program, by way of thanks.)

That's why I would like to see a simple way for the end-user to add their own Win32/WINE programs, as a sort of modular extension to the system.

- M.

P.S.: Just stumbled on this: grow-knoppix (http://grow-knoppix.berlios.de/index.php) seems to have the ability to add additional items to the ISO, but I do not yet know whether or not it is also able to handle Win32 applications and the WINE config...

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
ok well do let me know if it does work so then us at westnold developments can look more into it.

Vintage Season
06-28-2004, 10:31 PM
ok well do let me know if it does work so then us at westnold developments can look more into it.
I will. It may be a week or so before I can verify this, though... my new DVD+/-R(W) drive just shipped, and I'm not sure how long it will be before it arrives.

- M.

gmwest5
06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
ok whenever i have got lots of other stuff to do anyway, for example currently me an the other two members of westnold developments are installing gentoo on to and UltraSPARC SunBlade 150 and will eventuall releasing UltraBARNIX which will be the UltraSPARC version of BARNIX.

gmwest5
06-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Barnix 0.3.5 Download Link

http://www.overclockix.octeams.com/Barnix//ISO%20Images/BarnixV0.3.5-EN-29-06-2004.iso

Michael West
Westnold Developments

gmwest5
06-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Barnix 0.3.5 Download Link

http://www.overclockix.octeams.com/Barnix//ISO%20Images/BarnixV0.3.5-EN-29-06-2004.iso

Michael West
Westnold Developments

objectconstant
10-10-2004, 09:35 AM
I read the first two pages and the last two pages, and thought, I should just post anyways...

I have found knoppix the easiest way to move to linux, Ihave been using windows since windows was windows and am a master, just not knowing there was a linux

go figure.

now I am here on knoppix 4 days and the past 2 months poking around other distros, I feel I have learned more here and will continue.

I believe knoppix provides the easiest transition from windows to linux, and what was this thing I was reading about , about being able to install some win32 programs, does this mean even games ;)

Leg0z
10-27-2005, 09:43 PM
I did a random search on here for my name and came accross this thread. I had forgotten all about this. Tell me something, was this thread the inspiration behind Barnix? Just curious... 2 years... damn.