PDA

View Full Version : Modifying /etc/lilo.conf for kernel upgrade

sobriquet
01-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi all,

I just set about upgrading to kernel-2.6.0 via apt (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.0-1-686) which seems to have installed fine, but barfed on modifying lilo.conf.

Lilo.conf currently reads as

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
#...

I presume I can add this safely enough?

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-1-686
label=Linux-2.6.0-686
initrd=/boot/initrd

I haven't done this before, so simple confirmation that it's the right way would be appreciated.

Thanks.

tearinghairout
01-29-2004, 07:01 PM
As far as "this is the right way", yes it is.

You can safely add the lines, and as long as you don't change the existing lines you won't break anything (even if you do break something, you have a really wonderful recovery tool on hand anyway :lol: )

I notice you have /boot/initrd.gz in the first, but only /boot/initrd in the second... is this just a typo?

And lastly, don't forget to run lilo after you make the changes. I used to forget to do this every time. :oops:

Stephen
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Hi all,

I just set about upgrading to kernel-2.6.0 via apt (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.0-1-686) which seems to have installed fine, but barfed on modifying lilo.conf.

Lilo.conf currently reads as

default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
#...

I presume I can add this safely enough?

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-1-686
label=Linux-2.6.0-686
initrd=/boot/initrd

I haven't done this before, so simple confirmation that it's the right way would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You may have to change the vga=791 in the file to vga=normal I'm not sure if the Debian kernels have the framebuffer enabled or not in the 2.6 kernels so if the screen goes blank when you boot this is what you should change.