PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Gaim

Snow
01-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi.
Please bear with me.
I have been playing with Linux for some time now and still do not know a great deal.
My problem is with a program called Gaim.
I am trying to get my AIM acct set up on it and I am having no luck.
I enter my screen name and password (which I know are good because I use this on a windows machine that I keep trying to get rid of but I always have to come back to it for some reason or another. Like this) and it tells me that : XXX= my screen name

XXXXXXXX was unable to sign on: Incorrect nickname or password.

Ok. Now I know the password is correct. the word and case are correct (case being lower and not upper)
What I do not know is what is the nickname it is refering to and if I knew what it was where wouln I enter it so that I could use it and there by then begin using my AIM acct on Linux which I realy would like to do. I hate having to fall back to windows just to do something like IMing people.
Any help would be great. :D

Snow
01-30-2004, 11:35 PM
One more thing.
In this forum how does one change their Forum name?
I would like to change mine. The name I think will be obvious.

jojo
01-31-2004, 12:02 AM
I had the same problem too, I don't think you can use the same screenname for gaim and aim so you need to pick a new one. go to my.screenname.aol.com then click on get a screenname and fill out the form, and you should be all set. Otherwise you could get aim for linux here http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp= hope this helps.

Snow
01-31-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks

arkaine23
01-31-2004, 02:20 AM
That's weird. I've always used my aim screenname in gaim....

champagnemojo
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM

me too

Snow
02-01-2004, 12:08 AM

me too
I would have thought so too. But my AIM name will not work.
However I did get a version of it to work. I added 2004 to the end ot the name and it works fine.
Do the users here that use AIM and GAIM and it works, are ther numbers in your screen name? And like wise, those that wont. Are there no numbers in your name.

Snow
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Man that image needs to be resized. :shock: :shock:

champagnemojo
02-01-2004, 02:44 AM

me too
I would have thought so too. But my AIM name will not work.
However I did get a version of it to work. I added 2004 to the end ot the name and it works fine.
Do the users here that use AIM and GAIM and it works, are ther numbers in your screen name? And like wise, those that wont. Are there no numbers in your name.

No, there are no numbers in mine. And I've never seen such an issue discussed on the Gaim forums at sourceforge...so I don't think that's the problem. But I could be wrong. :)

A. Jorge Garcia
02-01-2004, 03:21 AM
I never used AIM much, but I recently tried gaim and my AOL screenname didn't work either....

Regards,
AJG

arkaine23
02-02-2004, 09:47 PM
NMine works and I have numbers at the end of my screenname.

untree
12-14-2005, 06:52 AM
I'm having the same problem, but on the windows port of Gaim that I installed on my girlfriend's computer. Her sn won't work on any version of Gaim, but works fine on AIM and other chat programs. My sn works fine, though.