PDA

View Full Version : Kernel 2.6.1 good... but no scroll wheel

JMarsh
01-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Ok, I have Knoppix running the 2.6.1 version of the kernel. I've got it so it runs everything I was able to get 2.4.22 to run, except for my PS/2 scroll wheel. I've tried using XF86Config to change the protocol (and I've tried all of the PS/2 options), however that didn't help any... the middle button clicks just fine, and it works fine overall, It just won't scroll.

I love the fixes and the speedyness of 2.6.1 but if I can't get my scroll wheel back, I have to go back to the old kernel.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

btw - my mouse is a Memorex PS/2 Optical scroll mouse

turbinater
01-31-2004, 08:37 PM
I had the same problem with the 2.6.0 kernel, and it seems to be common, which means the first place to check is google/linux (http://www.google.com/linux).

JMarsh
01-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Indeed, and I have searched... to absolutely no avail... most responses are about logitech and cordless mice...

However, here's the good part (at least for me) ... I turned off my computer, and went to bed. This morning - after making absolutely no changes - my scrollwheel works fine...

I guess all's well that ends well... I just wish I knew why it's working now...

Superstoned
01-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Indeed, and I have searched... to absolutely no avail... most responses are about logitech and cordless mice...

However, here's the good part (at least for me) ... I turned off my computer, and went to bed. This morning - after making absolutely no changes - my scrollwheel works fine...

wow, very "microsoft-like" behaviour... ;-)

mabhatter
02-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Did you try the knoppix wheelmouse option? The kernel has to pick the mouse type at boot time because the protocol is slightly different for wheelmice....you may not be able to change it after your in X???

Not an authority, but I remember that little from another post about wheelmice here

bobalex
02-02-2004, 03:33 PM

May I know what filesystem are you running 2.6.1 onto please ?

Tx. Bob