01-31-2004, 10:08 PM
I see in your lilo.conf :

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
# restricted
# alias=1

I have a problems booting to Knoppix3.3 copied to HD with vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs . I beleive that it needs this strange for me initrd.gz .
What is it? Where to get this initrd.gz to boot vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs ??

Any help???
Best, Alex

Superstoned
01-31-2004, 11:43 PM
I am no expert on these things, but afaik INITRD.GZ is some 'image' which is usefull, but not essential needed for your kernel to boot. I'f I recall this right (I guess google can get you more info) its needed for loading external kernel modules.

But - if there is a problem, you kan use a tool called "mkinitrd" to (re)generate an initrd.gz (or initrd-kernel-2.4.22-xfs.img) for your kernel.

this might help...

good luck ;-)

(and be sure to use google on this, i am sure that will help)

turbinater
02-01-2004, 12:22 AM
initrd stands for initial ramdisk

bongski55
02-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Alex,

If you installed to HD correctly then the initrd.gz file should be there in the boot directory of your installation.

Please post the error message.

alex52
02-01-2004, 06:08 AM
I've copied
nice --22 cp -a /cdrom/KNOPPIX/* /dev/hda3
as it was recommended, and there is no initrd.gz in /dev/hda3.

I tried to make initrd.img with mkinitrd from lib/modules/...2.4.22-xfs . It was generated of 3.4MB, and after including it to lilo.conf
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
Result was the same:
Kernel panic, cannot mount root filesystem on 0303.

Ok, I'll try to install Knoppix3.3 with knx-install script, may be suitable initrd.gz will be generated.

Additionally, there is a some problem when Knoppix3.3 minoroot.gz trys to find Knoppix3.3 compressed core on any HD partitions. Floppy boot from Knoppix3.2 can find Knoppix3.3 core, but cannot handle it. Knoppix3.3 miniroot.gz cannot find core.