PDA

View Full Version : Cheat code HDD install

alxdotnet
02-01-2004, 05:07 AM
Hey, first of all, I'm a complete linux newb.
I'm installing Knoppix on a Toshiba Satellite HDD. If I type 'knoppix' at the boot prompt KDE loads and uses only half the available screen. If, however, i type 'knoppix vsync=60', this works great.
My question is, after HDD install, how do I get KDE to load 'vsync=60' automatically?
Thanks in advance, especially for helping a newb
Alex R

champagnemojo
02-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I don't think cheatcodes should be necessary after a HD install. But I've always installed debian-style so I can't say for sure about knoppix-style installs. Did you install and it isn't working, or are you just asking in advance?

alxdotnet
02-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Asking in advance. The laptop has a Win2000 install which I don't have CD for, so once I switch to Linux, that's it.

kelmo
02-01-2004, 12:59 PM
If installed as Knoppix-CD-like system, /etc/lilo.conf should contain vsync=60 within the append section to maintain the settings each and every boot. ie append="... vsync=60"

alxdotnet
02-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks!
EDIT: I know this is the wrong forum, but does this go for a standard Debian install too? (not sure if I want to fill the 6GB/64MB Ram computer with Knoppix, as many of the tools are unnecessary.)

RobertB
02-06-2004, 10:35 PM
not sure if I want to fill the 6GB/64MB Ram computer with Knoppix, as many of the tools are unnecessary.

I'll be following your results, as I just installed Knoppix on a used 6GB Compaq with 64MB of RAM. It's taken me quite a while to get things up and running -- on my first try, I made my root partition way too small and everything started hanging up after a while. Now I'm running with two partitions (plus swap), /home moved to the new partition, and things are ok. For now...

But to answer your original question from my experience, here's the process I followed (without the "ooops, start over"s):

* Boot from the Knoppix CD with the appropriate cheat codes (in my case, I needed screen=800x600 vga=normal to make my crappy old monitor work).

* Partition your hard drive. You'll be asked to partition it again during the installation process, but it was easier for me to have already done it.

* Tweak monitor settings as desired (can't remember the app name), and use the Knoppix "Save Configuration" option *before* you reboot (another reason to have already partitioned the HD).

* This time, use *only* cheat code myconfig=scan. If something doesn't work, you'll be glad you didn't mess up the HD install (like I did, several times).

* Install to hard drive!

Important caveat: I have all of 6 weeks' experience with Knoppix, so YMMV.

alxdotnet
02-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm having problems booting the Debian install CD so I might do the knoppix If i don't get a response anywhere else. I'll let you know when I finish.

alxdotnet
02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Alright! Knoppix is up and running, although slow, on my 600Mhz laptop with 6GB HDD and 64MB RAM. I'm currently using a 192MB swap partition (too much?), and Knoppix itself is on a 4.75GB partition. The other 1GB or so is partitioned FAT32, but Debian won't mount it, so I need help here.
Currently trying to upgrade to KDE3.2, awaiting response in another forum.