PDA

View Full Version : why is the internet so slow?

RobC
02-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi guys I'm pretty new to linux, i have past experience with it but its been about 5 years since i have had it on one of my computers. I just did the hd install of knoppix and everything went fine, as far as i know. Its fast i love it. But for some reason my internet is incredibly slow. I type in a web address and it just sits there and maybe loads a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of it and maybe after 45 minutes will load a frame. Its scarey slow and I am on a T1 line. I know it works because its fine on the windows partition, runs fast as ever. Sorry for the rambling. Here's the question. What could be the cause of this slowness? I ran the built in dhcp configure thing under the knoppix menu in the "start menu"...I am stumped.

My system is as follows:
AMD 1.9XP+
512 megs pc2100
radeon 9600 pro 128
netgear fa311 ethernet card
dvd
cdrw
EPoX 8kha+ mobo

thanks in advance for any help you all can give me. I appologize if this question has been asked before but i checked through past posts and didnt see it.

-Rob

wmcn
02-01-2004, 09:08 AM
it's most likely the email virus.
I've noticed it too.

tearinghairout
02-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Have you tried multiple web sites, including those that you know are running on powerful servers? There are many web sites out there that are slow.

What are your ping times like? If you ping some machine at the other end of your T1 line, what statistics do you get?

What if you try another application, such as FTP, to download stuff? Is it still slow then?

hardware_bum
02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Go to www.dslreports.com and run a tweak test. Lots of good tips for optimising your connection.