PDA

View Full Version : dvd drive doesn't work!

jojo
02-01-2004, 08:41 AM
I installed knx3.3 on my hd and I have trying to get everything to work since slowly but surely I getting it done but I am stumped with this one. I have a cd icon on my desktop when I click it I get this message ERROR: Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. I cannot use kscd,xmms, or even xine. how would I go about fixing this problem?

tearinghairout
02-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Well, step one would be to create an empty directory mode 777 called /mnt/cdrom.

jojo
02-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I'll startwith this to help you help me. knoppix@Shizzle:/mnt$ ls
auto bootfloppy cdaudio cdrom dvd floppy hda1 miniroot test
knoppix@Shizzle:/mnt$ mount cdaudio
mount: can't find /mnt/cdaudio in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
knoppix@Shizzle:/mnt$ mount cdrom
mount: can't find /mnt/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# /etc/mtab
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000 0 0
I have the devices as you can see the dir's are there also can anyone tell from the info above why I can not use any of theese things. Actually I can use the hda. another thing that may or may not help is all the things under /mnt are dark blue except floppy, it is light blue. thanks

tearinghairout
02-03-2004, 01:16 AM
When you issue the mount command on the command line, maybe you should put a slash in front of the name, such as 'mount /cdaudio' and 'mount /cdrom'.

Check under the properties of your CD icon. If you have a tab marked 'URL' and if the URL entry itself is /mnt/cdrom, try changing this to be just /cdrom.

jojo
02-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Thanks tearinghairout with your help I got it working. I was wondering though, why can I play audio and burned video cd's but not one I got for windows does a windows cd have a different format or something? also when I put in my knoppix cd I cannot see what is on it, Why? anyways thanks for the help.

windos_no_thanks
02-03-2004, 07:52 AM
also when I put in my knoppix cd I cannot see what is on it, Why?
Because most of the things on it are in the compressed filesystem, which appears as a big file file called "KNOPPIX" in the KNOPPIX directory. If you want to mount it while running from HD take a look at the threads in the remastering section.