PDA

View Full Version : Fstab mounted device, users cant view/open (resolved)

Cuddles
02-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Ok, I added a new hard drive (it contains a Win98 VFAT), named /dev/hdc1 - mount point is to /gblusr/dosd - which I created the mount point directory, did a chmod 777 on, and chgrp to users

fstab file has the following:
/dev/hdc1 /gblusr/dosd vfar defaults,user,exec 0 0

NOTE: even though my typing maybe bad, the directory and fstab file are the same folder name, i.e. /gblusr/dosd - and I not only did a chmod and chgrp on /gblusr/dosd but also on /gblusr - just to be sure that the complete tree structure can be accessed by everyone...

Problem is that only Root can view the device, if any other user attempts to load a view of the device, which is already mounted, they get access denied, and a empty folder view.

Did I miss something?

One thing I can't understand though, if I examine my "groups", I don't have a group named "user", but rather a group called "users" - but the fstab file shows "user" - singular, if I try and change permissions within the right-click "properties" of something, and change the "group" their, it wants to use "users" - plural. Which is right, and where does each one get used? Shouldn't a chgrp be to "users", or should fstab be "users" ??? I am getting lost on this subject, but the only thing I have currently is a Win98 hard drive, with a Wine test, that I can't even get to the device to test. (yes, this is the finicky DOS program, STILL :( -=- I can't believe I am STILL trying to get that stupid DOS program to run)

Help, please, anyone, throw me a bone here [giggle]
Cuddles

Cuddles
02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Just thought this might help: contents of fstab and group files:

#cat fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
# Main HD part1 Linux OS
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Main HD part3 Linux Swap
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Main HD part2 VFAT DOS
/dev/hda2 /gblusr/dosp vfat defaults,user,exec 0 0
# Secondard HD VFAT DOS
/dev/hdc1 /gblusr/dosd vfat defaults,user,exec 0 0
# Remaining devices
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda /mnt/sda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

# cat group
root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
bin:x:2:
sys:x:3:
adm:x:4:
tty:x:5:
disk:x:6:backup,root,knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
lp:x:7:lp
mail:x:8:
news:x:9:
uucp:x:10:
proxy:x:13:
kmem:x:15:
dialout:x:20:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
fax:x:21:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
voice:x:22:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
cdrom:x:24:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
floppy:x:25:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
tape:x:26:knoppix,backup,mango,cuddles,raz
sudo:x:27:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
audio:x:29:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
dip:x:30:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
majordom:x:31:majordom
postgres:x:32:
www-data:x:33:
backup:x:34:
msql:x:36:
operator:x:37:
list:x:38:
irc:x:39:
src:x:40:
gnats:x:41:
shadow:x:42:
utmp:x:43:telnetd
video:x:44:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
staff:x:50:
games:x:60:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
users:x:100:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
lpadmin:x:102:
mysql:x:103:
postfix:x:104:
postdrop:x:105:
usb:x:106:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
knoppix:x:1000:knoppix
nogroup:x:65534:
comusers:*:11223:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
partimag:x:107:
sasl:*:45:
telnetd:x:101:
man:*:12:
bind:x:108:
ssh:x:109:
sslwrap:x:1001:
scanner:x:110:
crontab:x:111:
cuddles:x:1003:cuddles
mango:x:1004:mango
raz:x:1005:raz
cdrecording:x:11224:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
#

Cuddles

tearinghairout
02-01-2004, 09:24 PM
The "user" in the /etc/fstab is not the name of a group. Instead it is a keyword interpreted by the mount command as meaning (taken from the fstab man page) "``user'' (allow a user to mount),".

Are you trying to access the device by clicking on an icon on the desktop, or are you doing it all from the command line? If the former, try the latter.
Having nice gui clicky things is all well and good when it works, but adds an extra layer of "things that can go wrong". I only trust the command line, and whenever things start to go funny, always drop down to a command shell to really see whats going on.

Cuddles
02-01-2004, 10:02 PM
TearingHairOut,

I admit, the user account, Knoppix, I am using the icon on the desktop, I have done everything to the icon - it has everything enabled, and a "user group" as Users also.

How would I go about opening a "folder view" from a command shell line?

The devices are already mounted, when the user is logged in, the icon on the desktop has the mount icon. I would like to test this out, by command, but what format and command is used?

BTW - the reason I am using a mount point of /gblusr/... instead of /usr/... is - I thought that maybe the rights, or permissions, were getting inherited from the upper folder, i.e. /usr/ - so I created a /gblusr/ and added my mount points below that same permissioned folder.

Cuddles

tearinghairout
02-01-2004, 10:20 PM
How would I go about opening a "folder view" from a command shell line?Well, a luddite like me would just type 'cd /gblusr/dosd' followed by 'ls -l' and see what you get.

I think it is also possible to open a "folder view" by starting konqueror and typing in a URL such as "file:///gblusr/dosd"

Stephen
02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
TearingHairOut,

I admit, the user account, Knoppix, I am using the icon on the desktop, I have done everything to the icon - it has everything enabled, and a "user group" as Users also.

How would I go about opening a "folder view" from a command shell line?

The devices are already mounted, when the user is logged in, the icon on the desktop has the mount icon. I would like to test this out, by command, but what format and command is used?

BTW - the reason I am using a mount point of /gblusr/... instead of /usr/... is - I thought that maybe the rights, or permissions, were getting inherited from the upper folder, i.e. /usr/ - so I created a /gblusr/ and added my mount points below that same permissioned folder.

Cuddles

Try:

/dev/hdc1 /gblusr/dosd vfat defaults,user,exec,umask=000 0 0

Then see if everyone can access the mount.

RockMumbles
02-02-2004, 12:05 AM
I found this trick on Libranet's web site in their support database:
http://www.libranet.com/support/view.cgi?version=2.7&item=0155.html

Here is a line from my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hde1 /win vfat defaults,exec,gid=windows,umask=002 0 0

above is the line from my /etc/fstab file for my windows partition. Note; I still get permission errors and files cannot be moved from my windows partition to my linux partitions, they are copied fine, but the old file cannot be deleted, so I have to copy and delete, but users can write to the partition.

So, what you do is edit your /etc/fstab, if you only have one user on your system ex: user knoppix then you should be able to use: gid=knoppix (if that is the group user knoppix is in) instead of windows, unmount the partition, mount it and everything should be OK. If you have multiple users, then add a group such as: windows and make all users part of group windows.

If you want a gui user/group frontend try kuser it's simple and easy to use.

HTH

~rock

Cuddles
02-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Houston, we DON'T have a problem :!:

TearingHairOut,
I tried to use the konsole to cd to my Win HD, it failed with "access denied."

Stephen, YES, Y E S, Y E S !
Modified the fstab to having the umask addition - that did it! Perfect, I can open and list files/folders from a konsole window - using ls -=- and I also was able to use my Desktop Icon for the device to open the device in folder view - EXCELLENT.

Sorry RockMumbles, I worked from a "top down" process, I didn't get a chance to try your suggestion, considering that Stephen's idea did the trick - nothing personal (you know) :D

As a famous actor from the "A" Team, once said: I love it when a plan comes together :!: [giggle]

Thanks to everyone, hopefully, I can get Wine to work on my "stupid" DOS program now...
Cuddles
BTW - How do you get a DOS Prompt using Wine? (Considering I am going to be running a DOS program) In Windows, you just fire off "command.com", is this what I would pass to Wine? Any answers? Or I can just beat the answer out of Wine, giggle.