PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix, Network card eeprom and Windows98 Security Update

Davetron
02-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi,
Quick question?...I am using a dual boot configuration with Windows98 2nd edition and Knoppix (both on harddrive). The security patch killed my ability to dialup with Knoppix (as discussed before in the forum). I have tried the sudo mii-tool -r trick with no luck.
If I install another network card will Windows98 (with security patch installed already) overwrite the eeprom again or would this be a workable solution to get Knoppix up and dialing again?
Thanks in advance for assistance.

Regards, Dave

Harry Kuhman
02-02-2004, 08:23 AM
If I install another network card will Windows98 (with security patch installed already) overwrite the eeprom again or would this be a workable solution to get Knoppix up and dialing again?

Wish I could give you a good answer. Can't, but I would like to make a few suggestions. When you do install the network card, boot into Knoppix before you ever run Windows. At least that way you'll have a good baseline and know for sure that Knoppix works with that NIC in it's normal form. You might also want to have downloaded and compiled the tools from http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html so that you can run them and record your eeprom (both to confirm it changes if it indeed does, and so that you have a record of what it should be to restore it). Of course, you can download from Windows and then compile with Knoppix on the current system before you install the new NIC.

And please report back here what happens. My expectation is that the NIC will not get changed again (unless you install some new update). I don't have any experience with any NIC problems under Win98, but then again I've never installed any of the updates either. Wish I had done the same for WinXp and my notebook.

By the way, for anyone in the U.S. seeing this problem on a desktop, you can get a free NIC (after rebate) at OfficeMax this week. Might make it a good time to put in a NIC that will boot Knoppix correctly.

Davetron
02-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Appreciate the response...I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again,
Dave

Harry Kuhman
02-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Good Luck. Try to remember to put the Knoppix CD in the drive before shutting down to install the NIC, and have the BIOS enabled to boot from CD before the hard drive, so that there is less chance that Windows gets to run before you get a look at the new card and Knoppix.