PDA

View Full Version : brief wireless config tutorial please

tony_c
02-02-2004, 01:23 AM
I am new to Knoppix and linux. I have a presario 900US and a Linksys PCMCIA v3 wireless card. Everything else runs great! I have no idea how to get the networking working. I am familiar with dos commands, but am new to linux commands so please be specific. I notice an eth0 and eth1 in the list of network cards (from the network config in the knoppix menu in KDE), so I guess knoppix detected the card. I have a linksys WAP and router running dhcp, but I can't access the internet. I don't think I'm actually connecting to the router; however the lights on my card are lighting up. Thanks in advance.

aay
02-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Try running wlcardconfig from the command line. Is your wireless card detected? If wlcardconfig sees the card, you just need to enter in your particular info (essid, password etc) in the dialog boxes.

tearinghairout
02-02-2004, 04:31 AM
The device eth1 is most likely your wireless card.

The linux equivalent of ipconfig is ifconfig. It will show you your IP address etc.

The linux equivalent of 'ipconfig /renew eth1' is 'pump -i eth1'. This will ask your DHCP server for an IP address. You can run this manually just to see if you can get things working.

There is a file called /etc/network/interfaces. This contains a list of your network cards and commands to set them up.

It should contain an entry like 'iface eth1 inet dhcp'. There are probably a myriad of different menu options and programs to set up your networks, but they all just aim to do the same thing, which is modify this file. The command 'man interfaces' can tell you more.

If you have a wireless access point, I don't believe that it is necessary to specify any ESSID's or anything. I think the access point handles all that for you (I could be wrong though).

tony_c
02-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Thank you for your responses. I am trying your suggestions now, and will report back.
NOTE: I have to boot windows to access the net right now :(

tony_c
02-02-2004, 11:53 PM
I noticed that knoppix is recognizing my wireless card as eth0. During the boot process it recognized and configured the card. It then attemped the pump command that you refferenced in your post. Since I'm unable to access the net, I tried typing the commands that you told me about. pump -i eth0 fails, I don't know why. For some reason it won't contact my Linksys WAP (running dhcp). I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, as everything else works great, and it is recognizing the card. I just don't know why pump keeps failing.

aay
02-03-2004, 02:30 AM
pump -i eth0 fails, I don't know why. For some reason it won't contact my Linksys WAP (running dhcp). I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, as everything else works great, and it is recognizing the card. I just don't know why pump keeps failing.

Is WEP enabled on your access point? That's why I suggested you try running wlcardconfig. From what you said, it sounded like your card was detected properly and that all you needed to do was run wlcardconfig. Wlcardconfig will ask for your ssid and WEP key/password. DHCP will fail unless you supply this info. Even if you don't have WEP enabled, you will still need to specify the ssid of your AP. It's easy to do this with wlcardconfig. If your card isn't assigned an address via dhcp after configuring wlcardconfig, then run netcardconfig and you should be able to request an address.

tony_c
02-03-2004, 02:48 PM
That was it!!! I'm in knoppix right now, using my wireless card to connect! I made it way more complicated than it was. Thank you so much.

So for any other linux newbies out there who's wireless card is detected and loaded without errors, but you aren't connecting over your wireless card:

1. Go to the command line and type... wlcardconfig
2. Enter your wireless network's name (SSID) when prompted.
3. Enter your WEP key/password (if your network is encrypted) when prompted.
4. Leave the other specs blank.
5. After you complete the config, at the command line type... pump -i eth0
(where "0" is the number of your wireless card)

aay
02-03-2004, 05:07 PM
That was it!!! I'm in knoppix right now, using my wireless card to connect! I made it way more complicated than it was. Thank you so much.

So for any other linux newbies out there who's wireless card is detected and loaded without errors, but you aren't connecting over your wireless card:

Glad to hear it's working.

steven2099
05-15-2004, 05:51 AM
tony-c
I just followed your advice for my WPC v3 under Knoppix 3.4 and it worked.

Thanks,
another small victory for Linux.

steven2099

Durand Hicks
05-15-2004, 05:07 PM
FYI,

There is a netcardconfig script under the knoppix menu. That script does both ifconfig, iwconfig, and wlcardconfig all in one shot. Try that first if you're trying to set up a wireless connection on your pc.

HTH,

Durand

lionel47
05-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Great: this worked for me, too. Now the big question:

How do we get this to stay on boot so we don't have to go through this ritual every day? Thanks.

BugMan
05-23-2004, 02:35 AM
Has anybody had any success with configing a Belkin FSD6020?

ibrewale
05-23-2004, 03:41 AM
I have to say "wow" as this worked for me on my Toshiba Satelite with a 2WIRE wireless card. The Wow is because I've installed Knoppix 3.3 on my desktop today, and then ran it off the disk on my laptop later in the day...all with outstanding success....now to install on the laptop once I figure out how to get the screen resolution up on the install script so I can see everything....

Thanks for the great wireless help...another new satisfied linux convert!!

Jerry

saibot
05-26-2004, 09:27 PM
hi,

I'm using knoppix 3.4, & was using 3.3 before that. That's how I'm currently running linux, as I'm a recent linux convert. I'm glad to hear that knoppix is easy to get up & running on wireless cards, but I don't own one yet & want to buy. any suggestions on wireless pc card adapters to buy? what are good, compatible, inexpensive cards? I'm just looking for casual "coffee shop hotspot" surfing...my home network is & will remain wired. thanks!

toby

TimWhite
05-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Go for an old prism2 or orinoco based card, such as the old DWL650 (not 650+) or orinioco gold 802.11b card.
These will work.

Support for the new 802.11g cards is patchy at best, although people have had success with ndiswrapper and madwifi
--
TimW

saibot
06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
:) Hey...thanks a bunch Tim! I looked around for a deal on that card & bought it for $25. I took it & my laptop to Panera Bread (free WiFi), fired it up w/ Knoppix 3.4, & the instant (literally) that the Konqueror browser opened, it said "connecting" & had a revolving green arrow thing. Then it went to Panera's portal page, & after doing the license agreement thing, I was online. I didn't have to do anthing! Doesn't get any easier, & that's on my Panasonic Toughbook CF-17!

idolcrash
06-15-2004, 04:43 AM
I did this multiple times with the same card as the original poster, and it still doesn't work (only worked once).

saibot
06-15-2004, 01:45 PM
based on my own limited experience w/ Linux, but my larger experience in IT, I'd say get another card. Follow the advice Tim gave about the chipset, or just get the same card he mentioned, like I did...the Dlink DWL650. Is $25 really worth spending hours trying to troubleshoot an intermittent problem?

I'm assuming you've ruled out the usual stuff like RF interference, range, "over-configuration", etc. Since you say it worked once, I'm also assuming you've recreated that environment as best as possible...i.e. same PC, same version of knoppix, same location of PC & wifi base station, etc.

j.drake
06-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Ordinarily, I wouldn't cross-post, but it looks like my post in networking is getting no hits at all, so please forgive me.

I bought the Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA wlan card. My computer boots around this card, but when the modprobe looks for prism2_cs, I get a FATAL message, saying that module prism2_cs is not found, exits with a status 1, but continues booting. Then it says something about module /lib/modules/2.6.6/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o not available, and bind prism2_cs to socket 1 failed : invalid argument. The card is being detected just fine, and it isn't keeping me from doing other things, but Knoppix just isn't finding what it needs to run it.

:idea: I'm wondering if the failure to find the prism2_cs has anything to do with the script being written prior to version 3.4, and when 3.4 was released with two different kernels, the file structure changed just enough to make things go wonky. I noticed that some of the system directories seemed to have changed to accommodate two kernels, but maybe the script wasn't changed to reflect the new directory locations - hence, they can't be "found". I posted this on buglist for 2004-05-17 as #4 as a potential bug, as almost a third of the posted bugs relate to the failure of Knoppix to detect wi-fi cards.:idea:

My hardware: Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA adapter on a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA47 notebook, running Knoppix 2004-05-17 3.4, 2.6 kernel, live CD with persistent home and saved config both on a USB thumbdrive.

I tried d/l-ing the most recent linux-wlan-ng tarball, and did my best to follow this advice w/r/t installation and configuration:

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm

The article isn't specific to debian or knoppix, but after I followed the procedure in a root terminal, I did get confirmation that the configuration was successful (still doesn't work, though).

In another thread, paradocs advised nick to put a script in the /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart directory, but I couldn't find such a beast.

I'm new to wlan - I don't even have a base station, but I wanted to have wlan access on vacation at various hotspots.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. I guess I'm at least lucky that things aren't locking. TIA,

JD

saibot
06-15-2004, 04:19 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'd ditch the card. Since it's Microsoft branded, I have a hard time believing it complies 100% w/ the 802.11 spec. Probaly has some of their "extensions" :) That's probably why the dlink works perfectly...right at the front of the manual, it says very clearly that it was built to follow the spec 100%, to the letter. So for $25 or less, I'd stop fighting it. You can always sell your other card on ebay, to a friend, or save it for windows (if you still use that)

j.drake
06-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, sure, that's practical advice, but let's face it, there's darn little about Linux that's practical for a lot of us, right? I mean, Windows satisfies my needs, and Linux takes a boatload of tweaking to get it to work. It's a hobby, and it's fun, and I'm learning. Maybe it will be as natural for me as Windows some day, but it isn't now. Personally, I think it still needs a lot of development, but it is getting dramatically better, and it has a lot more potential than anything else I know of. So, rather than take the path of least resistance, let's take a look at what we need to do to advance the cause. The forums are loaded with wlan card detection problems - for all brands of cards. Even the most recommended Orinoco card seems to have its share of problems with Knoppix. Contrary to your skepticism, the MS card uses recognized standards, and comes highly recommended by a number of reviewers. Say what you want, but history shows that MS has a way of BECOMING the standard, more often than not. As I said, it's detected and recognized, but Knoppix isn't finding the prism2_cs driver, which is a pretty solidly established standard (in fact, a few posts up, Tim White recommended prism 2 based cards). Also, the MS card has already been reported on a number of sites as being fully linux compatible. More than I want my card to work, I wanted to share a hypothesis and diagnostic data in hopes of helping Knoppix to work better and to become a viable desktop alternative to Windows. As I see it, the fault is with Knoppix, not the card. The card itself works fine.

Anyway, much as I appreciate the practicality of your advice, I didn't come here to debate cards and manufacturers.

I found one problem. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51055#51055

So, does anyone have an idea of how I can get Knoppix 3.4/2.6.6 to "find" prism2_cs?

TIA

JD

JoeS
07-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Try running wlcardconfig from the command line. Is your wireless card detected? If wlcardconfig sees the card, you just need to enter in your particular info (essid, password etc) in the dialog boxes.

Is there an equivalent command in mandrake? I've also booted off the Knoppix CD and tried this, but it says I need to be "root" to run pump. How do I do that?

thanks.

martin.kirkby
08-05-2004, 05:06 PM
I have been following these posts and have not got past the wlcardconfig stage - it tells me that there is no network card found. However - pcmcia services are started and lspci identifies my 3com network controller: unknown device. I'm new to linux, so please give any advice as an idiot guide! Thanks.

Martin

jasmith
08-14-2004, 06:50 AM
wlcardconfig dosen't work for me. it says there is no card.
no lights light up either so could it be a pcmcia problem?
my card is netgear model wg511t.

p.s. is this the string to post in for wifi?

jasmith
08-17-2004, 06:50 PM
nevermind. i got it working. it was installed with failsafe!

feuerbeke
09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
On my Pc the T Sinus Data 130 is not recognised. Under W2000 it works fine. It is connected to USB.
What can I do?

Many thansk
Feuerbeke

docbill
10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the instructions. I have two wireless cards on my Toshiba. One is builtin, the other is a an pcmcia card. The builtin is recognized by Knoppix, the other is not. However, wlcardconfig recognized neither. I solved that problem by adding the folliing steps:

1. cp /usr/sbin/wlcardconfig /tmp/wlcardconfig
2. edit /tmp/wlcardconfig to explicitly use eth0, instead of a cat of /proc/net/wireless.
3. Turn on the antenna switch for the builtin card. (Normally I leave it off because the pcmcia card gets much better reception.)

I left the rest of the steps as is, and I am posting the message from Knoppix on my wireless laptop now...

Bill

java007
04-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Another small tip - when entering the encryption key, use HEX vs. ASCII. You can convert your ASCII key to HEX via KHexEdit. Remove the spaces and you should be set.

dixon151
02-04-2006, 10:27 PM
hey im new here and to linux for that matter. and im having trouble setting up my wireless connection. I've got a dell 700m and im using the stock wifi card and i have a linux router. I was able to use wlcardconfig to set everything up but i couldnt execute the pump -i eth0 command. it just says operation failed. so i still cant get onto the internet. plz help thx

Mb1t
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Does anybody has experience setting up a CompUSA wireless card any version ?
What is your opinion on this card

Uberwon Kahnewbie
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
ok first off im running a dell inspiron 6000 with celeron 1.4 ; 1gig ddr2 ; DELL WIRELESS 1470 Dual Band minipci card (built in) and running knoppix 5.0.1 (linux 2.6) and i cant seem to get the wireless card working.when it boots it finds two ehternet adapters eth1 and eth0 (not sure wich one is wich).I get into kde and try to run wlcardconfig and it tells me there are no cards installed.so i try to install the drivers thru the ndiswrapper configuration with this driver (bcmwl5.inf) and it tells me that the files are not .inf or that they are corrupted. I cant ping . cant assign an ip and i cant use wired .i really need some help...

frad
09-03-2006, 07:13 AM
wlcardconfig dosen't work for me. it says there is no card.
no lights light up either so could it be a pcmcia problem?
my card is netgear model wg511t.

p.s. is this the string to post in for wifi?

Hi there,

I too am having a similar problem trying to get my wireless pcmcia card running under knoppix. I am somewhat of a linux noob... sorry in advance. :)

I have a Thinkpad T30, a Linksys WPC54G v 2 adapter, and Knoppix 5.0. Basically, Knoppix does not seem to detect my network card. When I list them, I see only eth0, which is my Ethernet connection. Also no lights light up when the linksys card is plugged into the pcmcia slot, which was my first indication that something was wrong. I don't believe I am running in failsafe more or anything like that... at least I did not explicitly set to that.

Interestingly though, I noticed that if I run command "dmesg" I see the following when I plug a the card in and unplug it:

pccard: card ejected from slot 0
pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 0

But still if I run KInfoCenter, it states that no PCMCIA device is detected in either slot. which is a little perplexing.

Little help? Thanks!

Abucs
09-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I got a Gateway mx6412 laptop with a broadcom wireless card knoppix boots fine however it does not recognize the card, can someone help me guide with this problem?

zane_ff7
09-16-2006, 06:04 AM

i em having a problem with step 5 when i enter it i get
pump: must be run as root

I'em not even shure what that meens

malaire
09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
> 1. Go to the command line and type... wlcardconfig
> 2. Enter your wireless network's name (SSID) when prompted.
> 3. Enter your WEP key/password (if your network is encrypted) when prompted.
> 4. Leave the other specs blank.
> 5. After you complete the config, at the command line type... pump -i eth0
> (where "0" is the number of your wireless card)

i em having a problem with step 5 when i enter it i get
pump: must be run as root

I'em not even shure what that meens

It means that you need to run that command as user "root" instead of as user "knoppix" (which is default). You can do this with command sudo

So e.g. instead of pump -i eth0 use sudo pump -i eth0

zane_ff7
09-16-2006, 03:47 PM
now it just ses operation failed :(

malaire
09-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Sorry, but I can't help more. I don't have any experience about wireless internet. :(

iwantmyknoppix
11-13-2006, 12:46 AM
When I type: wlcardconfig the machine returns no wireless card found.
If I type netcardconfig and accept DHCP it fails.
If I type netcardconfig and enter no for DHCP, accept all of the default addresses it tells me it is setting the name server in /etc/resolv.conf to 192.*.*.* but I am trying to do this from CD boot--so it cannot write, unless it is writing to RAM.

I like to try and see if I could get this working with the CD before installing as dual boot

thanks

ydris
12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi all - First post so excuse my noobishness.

I have a Dell Latitude D505 with no internal wireless and a Linksys Wireless G USB network adaptor but can't get the adaptor to work and get on the internet.

Basically I plug it in and although KInfoCenter says its there the power light doesn't come on and wlcardconfig returns no cards found.

What am i missing?

Ydris

Postie
02-12-2007, 03:27 AM
:D My wifi story. I run an older laptop: A Sony PCG-Z505JS. The 505's use an external CD-ROM. To boot them you must disable the PCMCIA slot through a cheat code: knoppix nopcmcia ide2=0x180. The problem is, with a 'poorman's install' the pcmcia remains off. :shock: Will not see my wifi card. :( Being a n00b, it took me a while to find the SysInit5 editor. When I turned on the PCMCIA services the system saw my wifi card :D I use a DellTruemobile 1150 which uses the Orinoco chipset. A quick trip to my public library for a free 'hotspot' I simply ran Kwifi Mgr and was connected 8)
I run 4.0.1. I cannot run 5.0.1 because it seems not to recognize my video-card :cry:

m0r7rey
04-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi to everybody.
Real noob at linux here. First time i am starting it was yesterday and i trying set up my Wi-fi card as shown in this thread but it didn't work. I will explain everything :). So my card is build in and it is recognised by Knoppix as eth1. I tried all the steps but in order to connect to my network i should set the following setting can you help me how exactly should i do that? Otherwise i cannot connect to it. Also when i try the pump command as a root it says invalid password, what is the default password for the root :P . Thanks a lot in advance. I hope the questions are not so retarded.

I Figured it out at the moment i am posting from linux :D :D

tagno25
05-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi to everybody.
Real noob at linux here. First time i am starting it was yesterday and i trying set up my Wi-fi card as shown in this thread but it didn't work. I will explain everything :). So my card is build in and it is recognised by Knoppix as eth1. I tried all the steps but in order to connect to my network i should set the following setting can you help me how exactly should i do that? Otherwise i cannot connect to it. Also when i try the pump command as a root it says invalid password, what is the default password for the root :P . Thanks a lot in advance. I hope the questions are not so retarded.

I Figured it out at the moment i am posting from linux :D :D

click on the little knoppix pinguin
select root shell
then type in the commands

1. Go to the root command line and type... wlcardconfig
5. After you complete the config, at the root command line type... pump -i eth0
(where "0" is the number of your wireless card) (mine was ath0)

I am runing knoppix 5.0.1
I am using a pcmcia card but it may be the same

thoric
06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I've had a dual boot system for years now. But have recently completely abandoned Winblows. With the increased support for Photoshop & Reason through wine. I no longer have any real use for Winblows. Knoppix is great for what I want. Just re-author it until it's to your liking and just use "fromhd" in boot prompt. However I have yet to find a distro of Linux or BSD that supports my on board wan card. Have a Toshiba Satellite A100. The manual doesn't tell me anything at all specific about the card other than it's supposed to support 802.11( a/b/g). I've tried tracking down drivers for it but find nothing but Winblows CRAP! Can't get them to work in wine btw. wlcardconfig ifconfig iwconfig are all well and good when the card is detected. I've had the most success and reliability with Knoppix. I'm wondering if there is a solution that isn't a new card. I quite enjoyed having the on off switch for the card. And to answer the possible question, yes the switch is in the on position. If I could just get the OS to detect the card I'd be in the clear. My knowledge is good enough that I'm fine once that point has passed. If anyone could help me that'd be fantastic. I should also mention that i am running Knoppix version 5.0. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thoric.

cbagger01
06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I've had a dual boot system for years now. But have recently completely abandoned Winblows. With the increased support for Photoshop & Reason through wine. I no longer have any real use for Winblows. Knoppix is great for what I want. Just re-author it until it's to your liking and just use "fromhd" in boot prompt. However I have yet to find a distro of Linux or BSD that supports my on board wan card. Have a Toshiba Satellite A100. The manual doesn't tell me anything at all specific about the card other than it's supposed to support 802.11( a/b/g). I've tried tracking down drivers for it but find nothing but Winblows CRAP! Can't get them to work in wine btw. wlcardconfig ifconfig iwconfig are all well and good when the card is detected. I've had the most success and reliability with Knoppix. I'm wondering if there is a solution that isn't a new card. I quite enjoyed having the on off switch for the card. And to answer the possible question, yes the switch is in the on position. If I could just get the OS to detect the card I'd be in the clear. My knowledge is good enough that I'm fine once that point has passed. If anyone could help me that'd be fantastic. I should also mention that i am running Knoppix version 5.0. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thoric.

According to this page, you can get it to work by using NDISWRAPPER. I think NDISWRAPPER is still included with KNOPPIX, so you can skip the "apt" install steps:

http://www.apeman.org/2006/08/27/108/

It also referred to your wireless chipset as an "Atheros AR5006GE". So you may be able to use GOOGLE to find more information about using this chipset with Linux in general. Maybe it is now supported by the Linux native madwifi drivers. Who knows?

bass0holic
10-07-2007, 12:36 PM

So did you get it working yet? How did you sort out the issue of it giving you a operation failed after the push command?