PDA

View Full Version : Running WinXP/Knoppix off of same hard drive

Bluethunder
02-13-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm essentially a Linux n00b, I played around with RedHat 6 a year ago, but my friend showed me Knoppix on his machine and I fell in love.

Anyways, my question is, is it possible to run Linux and WinXP off of the same hard drive on different partitions? If so, is there any way for me to create a new partition with a different filesystem without having to reformat?

I don't have the rescue/repair disc for my XP, so I'm a bit worried about it :)

Any help would be appreciated

-bluethunder

Myrgamez
02-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Hey, It is possible to use both operating systems on one pc, just create a new bootable partition with "powerquest partition magic" (<snip>) when you boot, you can choose the OS you want to use!

I do it and it works 8)

edit by admin : no warez talk on this forum please.

Bluethunder
02-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Hmm, thanks for the help, I'll look into it :)

Bluethunder
02-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Are there any freeware/opensource partition managers like Partition Magic that are available?

aay
02-14-2003, 01:31 AM
If you are using NTFS, then your only option is Partition Magic or some other commercial tool that will do this (You'll have to check which version of Partition Magic supports resizing NTFS - either 7 or 8 I think.) If you have are using FAT, you can use something like Parted (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html).

Hope this helps.

Bluethunder
02-14-2003, 04:00 AM
I tried to do it using Partition Magic Pro 7, when it rebooted into WinXP to repartition the drive, it told me it was "locked"...

Also, I'm having troubles getting the root password, I got drivers for my WinModem, but I can't install it without the password.

Myrgamez
02-14-2003, 02:26 PM
You might wanna try partition magic 8.0 <snip> 8) it works fine with me... but i use fat 32, ntfs uses system space and i need all space i can have :? good luck

<admin edit : PLEASE don't link to warez. >

Pat
02-14-2003, 05:27 PM
I get a similar problem. It tells me invalid password when i try to su as the super user . Can anyone tell me whats the root password in Knoppix.
It certainly is something ( Although knoppix readme_security.txt file says there is'nt)

rununix
02-15-2003, 07:32 PM
use this command before any command for example sudo ls -l
or sudo mount /etc

Dave_Bechtel
02-16-2003, 04:19 AM
--Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, you are at one of four Root prompts (F1-F4.) To get back to GUI, Alt-F5.

--To bring up a root prompt in GUI, start rxvt or Konsole or whatever, and ' sudo bash '.

I get a similar problem. It tells me invalid password when i try to su as the super user . Can anyone tell me whats the root password in Knoppix.
It certainly is something ( Although knoppix readme_security.txt file says there is'nt)

Myrgamez
02-18-2003, 08:18 PM
please ignore my last post about Partition pagic, did it again, made error en f*cked up mij pc:S i want my windo$e cd :'(