PDA

View Full Version : fsck.ntfs not found when trying to repair Windows 2000 Pro

alvey
02-02-2004, 02:40 AM
I have a Windows 2000 Pro system on my notebook which fails to boot. Using Koppix 3.3 I can read the whole of my hard drive and copied relevant files through the network to my PC.

What I would now like to do is repair my original boot problem.

In Koppix when I take the fsck /mnt/hda1 command I get the error message fsck.ntfs not found message.

Any suggestions?

:roll:

tearinghairout
02-02-2004, 04:45 AM
I think this is saying that the fsck command does not know how to check an NTFS filesystem - in other words it cannot find a helper program called fsck.nfts whose job it would be to do the check.

This does not surprise me greatly, as NTFS write capability is still quite experimental, and something like a file system check would need quite in-depth knowledge of the filesystem - something that MS just won't tell anyone.

I think that in order to solve your boot problem you are going to have know what is wrong with it so that you can manually fix it.

baldyeti
02-02-2004, 10:09 AM
tearinghairout is absolutely right. After all, windows does not come with the tools to let you view -let alone fix - unix filesystems either, does it ? Google for "windows 2000 recovery console". Or take the plunge and install linux on that laptop of yours ;-)

calennert
02-02-2004, 02:30 PM
In what way does Win2K fail to boot? Any error messages?

alvey
02-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Error Message is:

Boot up starts, does some disk activity and goes into the starting windows screen with the rolling scroll across the bottom of the screen then halts with a blue screen stating INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

:(

chyro
05-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey

I have exactly the same problem. NTFS gone down, windows not booting, same error message, but partition readable from knoppix (files corrupt though). I haven't found a way to scan the disk for errors yet. Win2k Install CDs don't even see the partition.

G M
searching for a ntfs-reading windows boot disk

baldyeti
05-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi chyro, it seems you're not alone and this can happen with the latest release of knoppix (or its installer). Check eg this thread (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.knoppix/3613). Not sure which post/advice helped in the end, but there _is_ hope ;-)

roger_girardin
06-05-2004, 02:40 AM
you have to get a win install disk

then you boot the disc
let the installer go to install or repair question
>repair
>select the os to repair
then
cd winnt
cd system32
fixboot + enter

this will fix your prob

regard

garyng
06-05-2004, 04:11 AM
sounds like the captive driver is not stable enough.

baldyeti
06-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Maybe this is related to the problem that has been identified when using some version of parted under some version of the 2.6 kernel? Se here (http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html). Dunno if debian/knoppix is affected, though.

07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
I had this trouble also and here is how I fixed it.

Boot windows in safe mode (by pressing F8 when prompted) and see if it asks you if you want to skip loading dm346bus.sys (I think that's it). This is a problem caused by the program daemon tools.

I used the captive-NTFS driver to delete that file, however whether I chose to load it or not, and even after I deleted it, Windows still gave me an inaccessible boot device Blue Screen O' Death.

So I booted my windows CD, acted like I was going to reinstall, but at the last minute chose to Repair the existing install. This peforms a repair/upgrade installation of Windows.

It didn't even break my Lilo bootloader. All of my windows drivers and programs were intact aftwards.

07-06-2004, 03:12 PM
I had this trouble also and here is how I fixed it.

Boot windows in safe mode (by pressing F8 when prompted) and see if it asks you if you want to skip loading dm346bus.sys (I think that's it). This is a problem caused by the program daemon tools.

I used the captive-NTFS driver to delete that file, however whether I chose to load it or not, and even after I deleted it, Windows still gave me an inaccessible boot device Blue Screen O' Death.

So I booted my windows CD, acted like I was going to reinstall, but at the last minute chose to Repair the existing install. This peforms a repair/upgrade installation of Windows.

It didn't even break my Lilo bootloader. All of my windows drivers and programs were intact aftwards.

PS- this is arkaine23

badeball
07-14-2004, 06:32 PM
i had the same problem. And i managed to fix it!

This is what i did:
I booted with my windows 2000 cd. Started rescue console.
* I repaired the harddisk with chkdsk /p
* typed 'fixboot'

Then booted windows normally. It works fine with me.

Thx,
Fredrik aka badeball

voldemort
07-16-2004, 08:47 PM
good solution if your running windows is to keep a copy of windows pe on hand (version of xp that runs off cd like knoppix)

there are some precompiled ones that are preaty fancy and look like a full blown xp install running off cdrom

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

almodovaris
01-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, it was already said you can boot Windows into Recovery Console, then you have to log in to your Windows share (if you can...) and do chkdsk c: /p , chkdsk d: /p and so on. Equally you can run chkdsk /f from a bootable BartPE CD (i.e. a Windows which starts from the CD).

Another options are using some boot CD with Partition Magic (or a similar program) and check the partition for errors and try to repair them (does not always work).

Yet another option is having a boot CD with NTFS Pro, you boot from it, and type ntfschk /a /f (or ask for a NTFS Check in the book menu, aka chkdsk check).

In Knoppix, there is something to be done:

Update ntfsprogs (optional) with:

$ su
# apt-get update
# apt-get -t unstable install ntfsprogs

run a file system check with:

# ntfsresize -fi /dev/hda1

or

# ntfsresize -fi /dev/sda5

if that does not work, do:

# ntfsfix /dev/hda1

or

# ntfsfix /dev/sda5

or something like that (hda1 is 1st partition on IDE hard disk, sda5 is first logical, thus not primary, partition on a SATA hard disk).

Don't do a ntfsfix if you only have Vista, for it is going to freeze. If you have Vista and another NTFS-capable Windows, boot that Windows after performing ntfsfix.

voldemort
01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
There is a huge difference between recovery console and windows pe

recovery console has a limited amount of tools available to the user and means you will be loading some aspects of the system into memory and with some spyware "an example would be a memory resident one that attatches itself partialy in the mbr--just got rid of one like that last week for a client) by using windows pe you eliminate that problem also you arnt limited in tools
you can run antivirus software and antispyware software in a windows pe enviroment

I simply recomend pe for people that use windows because the enviroment is more familliar
Its true resources like the current version of knoppix are more robust in what they can do but will be unfamilliiar and confusing to some folks

The spyware I mentioned above was removed by wipeing the mbr and then useing gpart under knoppix to restore the partition table and add a clean mbr
So I advocate knoppix use but agian it may be to confusing or overwhelming for folks new to the linux envirioment

mr-roboto
01-10-2007, 02:02 AM
As much as I love Knoppix, it's just recently become viable as a true Windows repair platform. By far, WinPE is a better starting point when it comes to fixing spyware and viruses. I've heard of a couple Linux-based AV pgms, but I wouldn't trust any non-native anti-spyware pgm to get down-n-dirty w/ the Registry, to truly fix spyware. Maybe when FUSE gets a little more mature and proven writing NTFS partitions, but not for the moment. Having said all of that, my repair DVD has BartPE+Slax (2 diff eds)+Knoppix.+CHNTPW. In fact, I plan to add the new DSL (boots the fastest) to the mix.

Regarding WinPE (which is just the generic name for the Windows live CD env), the best way to take the plunge is UBCD4WIN (http://ubcd4win.com/) which simply packages BartPE to get up-and-running much more quickly than BartPE alone. And WinPE/BartPE beats the Recovery Console by the same margin that Linux beats Windows..... 8)