PDA

View Full Version : a few newbie idiot questions

shaneblyth
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
I am totally new to Knoppix... I was trying it out and was thinking of using it as a rescue tool for the dreaded OS crashes..
My questions are..

1)I have serval partitions which auto mount but I cant seem to copy or move or make a folder in any of these hard drive partitions.. whats the trick ? I tried changing permissions in the tabs from read only but makes no difference. as i said these are true hard drive partitions that appears in thee mnt folders.

2)I wanted to burn data to the cdr but when i went to do it i needed to run esetup and tell it an account name... none of the default names where accepted so no burning software is installed.

3)tried to do some adimin things but ask for admin password ... no idea what it is by defaut how do i get around this..

4)i have a network with a windows xp machine on the other end how do i setup knoppix to see it and give permissions for the winxp box to see my Knoppix hard drive..

My system i threw it on is formated fat32 NOT NTFS.

this is just a straight iso burn and throw in the cr rom drive i have done nothing else...

I know thats alot of questions but maybe you can point me to some posts with answers to save on typing..

cheers

Cuddles
02-02-2004, 04:23 AM
I will have a go, on the questions that "I" do know:

I am totally new to Knoppix... I was trying it out and was thinking of using it as a rescue tool for the dreaded OS crashes..
My questions are..

1)I have serval partitions which auto mount but I cant seem to copy or move or make a folder in any of these hard drive partitions.. whats the trick ? I tried changing permissions in the tabs from read only but makes no difference. as i said these are true hard drive partitions that appears in thee mnt folders.

2)I wanted to burn data to the cdr but when i went to do it i needed to run esetup and tell it an account name... none of the default names where accepted so no burning software is installed.

3)tried to do some adimin things but ask for admin password ... no idea what it is by defaut how do i get around this..

4)i have a network with a windows xp machine on the other end how do i setup knoppix to see it and give permissions for the winxp box to see my Knoppix hard drive..

Question#1 - by default, Knoppix on CD is set to be as safe as possible, which means, it sets all hard drives to READ ONLY. You found that out. I think the one thing you are missing, is, right-click on the desktop icon, and select Change Read/Write Mode - it should yell back at you, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CHANGE ACCESS? kind of thing. This is done as a "fail-safe" thing, you don't want to write to a NTFS device/drive, and thus, by making you select YES, you have taken responsibility for any mishaps of writting to a drive.

Question#2 - not sure if you can add programs, like the burner, if you are running Knoppix from the CD. I could be wrong, but the setup you were saying won't work, I think it realized that it can't save settings, or change system stuff, if it isn't installed to a physical hard drive. Again, I may be wrong, someone may have found a way for this, most of the time, floppies are used for transfering data.

Question#3 - by default, from a Knoppix CD, a root, or superuser, or admin password is not setup - after you do a hard drive install, you set these things up - but, to get a root/admin access - you need to set the root password up, since running from the CD, your settings will evaporate when you reboot, so you may need to do all this each time you boot - use Konsole, when you get the prompt - type "su" for SuperUser - this should change your prompt to a ROOT prompt - now you can run anything as a command on that prompt as a Admin/Root/SuperUser - if you prefer to run something through the menu, shessh I forgot already how to do that :!: Anyone want to chime in on this one :?:

Question#4 - Not sure, Knoppix can "see" but not touch a NTFS drive, so getting Knoppix to look at a WinXP drive - should be easy - on the other hand - Windows, I don't think, can even register what a Linux/Knoppix drive is, let alone view it, I think? I have never tried WinXP, I stopped with Win98 - which was the last OS to use the FAT32 file system, with the new WinOS's they use the NTFS now, I think - and Knoppix is smart enough to view those, but can mess them up, I think, if Knoppix, or you, modify files on these drives.

I guess I helped a little, I try :D Hopefully others who have gone a lot farther than I have in your questions, can ring in and give you better answers to more of the "detailed" ones.

Hope I helped,
Cuddles

tearinghairout
02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
If you run the menu option K->KNOPPIX->Services->Start Samba Server, I seem to recall it prompts you for a few bits of info and then sets up Samba so that any Windows machines on the network can access the hard drives on your Knoppix machine (even if they are Windows partitions).

Going the other way - having Knoppix access the shares on a Windows machine - is possible, but I am not sure how easy it is to set up. There is a program K->Internet->LinNeighborhood that I think is supposed to do this, but I have not used it myself.